Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyJune 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMay 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMay 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyApril 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMarch 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMarch 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 535 on June 19th 2021, 7:09 am

4 posters

2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread

Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 9:49 pm

KMcBride wrote:Okay, it's been almost 5 hours and none of the teams who were auto-drafted have posted a make-up pick in the Drafts forum. It occurs to me that if these teams were not on top of things enough to participate in the draft in the utility, what makes us think that they will wake up and participate here? And, more importantly, what happens if they don't?

Here is my proposal (I think this is how it works in the NBA? or maybe it's the NFL?):

I propose that if someone's time expires and their selection is not made and they have not prepared a draft list, then the next team scheduled to pick should be permitted to draft a player, and on and on. If the skipped team wishes to make a choice sometime later, they may choose from the players remaining and available to draft at the time they are able to pick. If they do not make a pick before the completion of the draft, their draft picks are waived. Obviously, this would not apply to rounds not done in the utility/forum, where scouts can generate draft lists for absentee teams for the simmed rounds.

Thoughts?

Then you will create shitty teams bordering on pathetic and you won't be able to find/keep owners for those teams.

2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread

Post by Guest January 7th 2013, 9:26 pm

KMcBride wrote:Okay, it's been almost 5 hours and none of the teams who were auto-drafted have posted a make-up pick in the Drafts forum. It occurs to me that if these teams were not on top of things enough to participate in the draft in the utility, what makes us think that they will wake up and participate here? And, more importantly, what happens if they don't?

Here is my proposal (I think this is how it works in the NBA? or maybe it's the NFL?):

I propose that if someone's time expires and their selection is not made and they have not prepared a draft list, then the next team scheduled to pick should be permitted to draft a player, and on and on. If the skipped team wishes to make a choice sometime later, they may choose from the players remaining and available to draft at the time they are able to pick. If they do not make a pick before the completion of the draft, their draft picks are waived. Obviously, this would not apply to rounds not done in the utility/forum, where scouts can generate draft lists for absentee teams for the simmed rounds.

Thoughts?

Please do not assume we did not prepare for a draft. I spent several hours putting a list of 13 players together since I was selecting 13th.

Post by Guest January 7th 2013, 9:23 pm

Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:Didn't Joe say he had a list? He was just auto-picked...

He has it set for Auto.

It was not!!!!

Post by Guest January 7th 2013, 9:20 pm

WhoDat wrote:I think 30 minutes is too quick, especially for the first round of two, because I much prefer making last minute decisions on a pick rather than creating a list of 30+ players. But that's just me. I really don't feel it necessary to do 10+ rounds in the utility, would much rather take our time on 3-5 rounds and do the rest with in-game draft lists.

But that's just me. I type this as I'm trying to logically assemble a list that will cover me through a few rounds.

I agree. Unlike others I don't have access to game or forums at work. I have limited availability between 2:00-2:50 PM EST each day. If we are only doing 30 minutes per pick, why are we not just doing it in game? I already spent several hours in utility and game getting a list of 13 players. What is teh rush anyway? If we can't spend a few days doing a draft, which sets your team up for the future, why even bother. We always seem to put a rush on teh draft. As I don't have access during the day am I to have a list of 300 people typed up to send to somebody? We need to add time to at least the first 2 rounds.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 8:37 pm

Thoughts?

thats kinda how its gonna work. After tomorrow sim- I think we are at the draft and I can enter the players. I can auto pick for them too. They gotta a pass because the utility didn't work right. But starting tomorrow when your time is up the next guy can go and keep going. They won't lose the picks but there is a possiblility they wont get a player until the 5th round if I can't catch them up. Since I need to be home and have game access.
    KMcBride
    KMcBride
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride January 7th 2013, 8:26 pm

Okay, it's been almost 5 hours and none of the teams who were auto-drafted have posted a make-up pick in the Drafts forum. It occurs to me that if these teams were not on top of things enough to participate in the draft in the utility, what makes us think that they will wake up and participate here? And, more importantly, what happens if they don't?

Thoughts?

Post by Guest January 7th 2013, 3:12 pm

ok, I'm taking Stephen Driscoll RF, Gibsons, BC
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 1:49 pm

Rich wrote:

He has it set for Auto.

It went the whole 30 minutes before selecting. I imagine it clicked to "auto" after the pick?

prob- them he did'nt check off an option.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 1:45 pm

He has it set for Auto.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 1:41 pm

Didn't Joe say he had a list? He was just auto-picked...
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 1:38 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:not sure what to do about the non drafted players. The only other option would be to do the draft in the forum at this point.

They could e-mail you a player that has not been taken after the round is over. For those that don't, you could just select whoever is 57th on your draft list for them or some other random number. Missing the first round is just bad in one of these drafts.

They would of missed it if it was 30 minutes or 4 hours. I emailed Thunder and Skeeters yesterday as a reminder. It more an issue that the utility is picking non available players.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 1:28 pm

Rich wrote:not sure what to do about the non drafted players. The only other option would be to do the draft in the forum at this point.

They could e-mail you a player that has not been taken after the round is over. For those that don't, you could just select whoever is 57th on your draft list for them or some other random number. Missing the first round is just bad in one of these drafts.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 1:20 pm

not sure what to do about the non drafted players. The only other option would be to do the draft in the forum at this point.
    KMcBride
    KMcBride
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride January 7th 2013, 1:16 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    cheers

I'm glad to see that some other owner liked the guy I picked or at least had him in their top 50 or so...

He was in my top 30. Barely. Suspect
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 1:13 pm

Rich wrote:I think what i'll do is when we complete round 1- I'll stop the timer. And do 1 round a night. That should get the 5 rounds in. This way everyone knows what to expect. Maybe more on the weekend.

That sounds reasonable.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 1:12 pm

WhoDat wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    WhoDat wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    WhoDat wrote:RF Tai Zhao is in the in-game draft pool but is NOT in the utility draft list.

How can we do a draft if players are being drafted who are not in the draft pool and players who are in the draft pool are not in the utility?

I had to sort by "age" first to find Tao Zhao. He does not show up if you sort by "name" first.

I have sorted by age and still no TAI ZHAO in the draft utility. I used my browsers ctrl-f function and searched all batters for "Tai", no go.

You know I drafted him, right?

I do now What a Face

cheers

I'm glad to see that some other owner liked the guy I picked or at least had him in their top 50 or so...based on who other guys are drafting, it seems we are each conducting our own draft with our own set of players... scratch

Hopefully my scout was right about the players I have ranked relatively high. This should be one draft that we keep track of for the next 10 years to see what happens. bounce

Jeff

Last edited by Bumstead on January 7th 2013, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 1:06 pm

I think what i'll do is when we complete round 1- I'll stop the timer. And do 1 round a night. That should get the 5 rounds in. This way everyone knows what to expect. Maybe more on the weekend.
    WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat January 7th 2013, 1:06 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    WhoDat wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    WhoDat wrote:RF Tai Zhao is in the in-game draft pool but is NOT in the utility draft list.

How can we do a draft if players are being drafted who are not in the draft pool and players who are in the draft pool are not in the utility?

I had to sort by "age" first to find Tao Zhao. He does not show up if you sort by "name" first.

I have sorted by age and still no TAI ZHAO in the draft utility. I used my browsers ctrl-f function and searched all batters for "Tai", no go.

I do now What a Face
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 1:05 pm

WhoDat wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:

WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat January 7th 2013, 1:02 pm

Bumstead wrote:

Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 12:54 pm

Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 7th 2013, 12:52 pm

Rich wrote:I'm looking to go a round a game - if it picks up. I'll shut the timer off early. We are looking to get 5 rounds done by Friday. The timer is also off at night. I'll substitute another player when we are done for the autopicked teams if the player not available. If you keep enough picks for 2 roumds- that should be fine.

So...to be safe, we should keep 50 players in our draft queue... silent affraid
    WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat January 7th 2013, 12:51 pm

RF Tai Zhao is in the in-game draft pool but is NOT in the utility draft list.

And yes, Zhao is a guy my scout likes and I would put on my list if I could.

Last edited by WhoDat on January 7th 2013, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 12:50 pm

I'm looking to go a round a game - if it picks up. I'll shut the timer off early. We are looking to get 5 rounds done by Friday. The timer is also off at night. I'll substitute another player when we are done for the autopicked teams if the player not available. If you keep enough picks for 2 roumds- that should be fine.
    WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat January 7th 2013, 12:38 pm

WhoDat wrote:With the 4th pick the Thunder selected MR Dominique Neveu.

I went to update my in game list and this player is NOT in the draft pool. I did find him on his college team but not in the draft pool.

Ok, the next pick, RF Bruce Davis, is also not in the in-game draft list. I think the "*" indicates and auto-pick and it looks like it is picking players that aren't available.

My love of the draft utility, not, continues to dwindle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 7:14 am