Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyJune 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMay 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMay 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyApril 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMarch 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMarch 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 535 on June 19th 2021, 7:09 am

4 posters

2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread

Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread

Post by Bumstead January 10th 2013, 11:00 am

Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:There is another option. We could just create draft lists in-game and you could run the draft in the game. I assume that would be the easiest of all for you. I am not opposed to this and it may be a good thing to do until we get everybody on the same page with the draft(s).

Jeff

I thought that didn't work correctly when we tried that in the redraft?

Also - Maybe we can do it in game 1 round a night and ever one send me a list of 25 players each night. I may be willing to draft from the lists if they aren't too complicated and I can figure out who you want. And possible in excel.

It works fine as long as you create all rounds and run it all at once. It becomes confusing to those of us who aren't as computer savvy as others when you have to create a new list for a new round each day and you have to make sure you are on the correct round...That's the easiest; I don't care how we do it. The utility has always worked for me. Potts has trouble figuring out how to click "draft from list" so I was trying figure out something that he might understand...We might have to chisel our picks into stone tablets or paint pictures on the walls of caves to get him to feel comfortable... Rolling Eyes gunfight
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2020 Amateur Draft Discussion Thread

Post by Rich January 10th 2013, 10:48 am

Bumstead wrote:There is another option. We could just create draft lists in-game and you could run the draft in the game. I assume that would be the easiest of all for you. I am not opposed to this and it may be a good thing to do until we get everybody on the same page with the draft(s).

Jeff

I thought that didn't work correctly when we tried that in the redraft?

Also - Maybe we can do it in game 1 round a night and ever one send me a list of 25 players each night. I may be willing to draft from the lists if they aren't too complicated and I can figure out who you want. And possible in excel.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 10th 2013, 10:37 am

There is another option. We could just create draft lists in-game and you could run the draft in the game. I assume that would be the easiest of all for you. I am not opposed to this and it may be a good thing to do until we get everybody on the same page with the draft(s).

Jeff
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 10th 2013, 10:27 am

I prefer to use the utility. Its easier for me-
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 10th 2013, 10:25 am

For the next draft we have 3 options-

1) we can use the utility but no autopick when time runs out. This way teams can use lists and I'll have to catch up like we are doing in the forum. If it still adding ineligible players to the pool.

2) The other option would be (if I get the time) install statslab. There is a new version out but form what I heard its not been tested too much. I like the statslab draft better but wasn't compatible with 12. Now there is a version 12 and 13. But its a little pain in the ass to get it installed and working. But I can see if I can get it to work.

3) We can talk about it after the all star break.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 10th 2013, 1:26 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    See drunk Canadian above!

Post by Guest January 9th 2013, 10:56 pm

I've found there's an incredible amount of diversity on players this year. I'm going to guess it's because these guys haven't been around very long and there's not a long playing/scouting history on them.

Post by Guest January 9th 2013, 10:37 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:plus I'm not sure the teams being skipped are being penalized. I'm picking the top available guy from their scout lists and if they pick later on- there a real good chance their top guy is still there. With scouting off- everyone lists are pretty much the same. There are some guys being picked that I haven't even considered yet.

But yes - the ideal situtaion is the utility is working.

Yeah...I just got my Scout's #2 guy in the 2nd round...I'm hoping for #3 in the 4th round! bounce

Your scout is also a drunk Canadian..I guess "drunk Canadian" is redundant.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 9th 2013, 3:39 pm

Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:plus I'm not sure the teams being skipped are being penalized. I'm picking the top available guy from their scout lists and if they pick later on- there a real good chance their top guy is still there. With scouting off- everyone lists are pretty much the same. There are some guys being picked that I haven't even considered yet.

Yeah...I just got my Scout's #2 guy in the 2nd round...I'm hoping for #3 in the 4th round! bounce

My scouts #1 guy is still out there- hoping to get him in the 3rd- If I don't decide to skip him again.

Scary, isn't it?
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 9th 2013, 3:16 pm

Bumstead wrote:

My scouts #1 guy is still out there- hoping to get him in the 3rd- If I don't decide to skip him again.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 9th 2013, 3:14 pm

Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 9th 2013, 3:04 pm

plus I'm not sure the teams being skipped are being penalized. I'm picking the top available guy from their scout lists and if they pick later on- there a real good chance their top guy is still there. With scouting off- everyone lists are pretty much the same. There are some guys being picked that I haven't even considered yet.

Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 9th 2013, 2:59 pm

KMcBride wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:Have you seen the OSA ratings of these guys? Very few have even reasonable ratings.

. . . which is why there would be an advantage to participating in the draft. But at least the non-participating teams get something.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, and I've come to the conclusion that this is a very complicated problem. And I don't mean that to sound sarcastic; I'm being serious. The utility doesn't help us; in fact it seemed to create more problems. The system we are using right now is brutally slow, but besides that, even the predictability of knowing exactly when your pick is due hasn't helped owners get their pick, a list in on time. We cannot simply skip the teams that do not pick and punish them by waiving their draft picks forever, because that will damage the league in the long term. And we cannot find any agreed-upon "neutral" system for making a pick in someone's absence.

I think we can get through this draft using the forum, but once it is complete, I would really like to see us get a conversation going in the "Front Office" forum about how to do this differently in the future, so that everyone understands and is on the same page about what our priorities and goals are for drafts: efficiency or fairness? Ideally, I think we'd like both, but we are repeatedly being put in a position where we have to choose one over the other. Which is more important?

I don't know that there is any less participation or it moves any slower. I've done drafts live, in the forum, and in the utiltiy. When working the utility is the best way. The utility can move slow- GMs still need to login and make a pick.

The major advantage if working is the auto pick. There are usually probaly the same amount or close to the same amount of teams that miss their picks. Normally its auto picked by the utility. Its debatable if the utility does a good job.

The disadvantage to the forum other than the autopick as its harder to keep track of the available players. Which does slow things down a little. I don't think its moving that much slower than the utiltiy. GMs need to login to pick and check out pick from list as well (past experience is there are some that don't). There are times when we are waiting the full time for the utility to autopick.

The draft was designed to do a round a day. This gives everyone a change to prepare for the next draft. If your skipped - you can pick at a more convenient time or I will pick for you using ootp later tonight. So yes your penalized a little by your pick being pushed down a little. But its shouldn't be too far down and I think ootp will do a better job autopicking.

We never had issues with the draft utility until now- not sure why its doing what its doing. My guess is the redraft threw things out of whack- but who knows.

Post by Guest January 9th 2013, 2:38 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    KMcBride wrote: I'm being serious.

I don't know why it is so hard for me to take Kendra seriously... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I know exactly why. It's the glitter on his logo.

It's like a stripper's makeup bag exploded.
    KMcBride
    KMcBride
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride January 9th 2013, 2:21 pm

Bumstead wrote:

I don't know why it is so hard for me to take Kendra seriously... yay

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 9th 2013, 2:08 pm

I don't know why it is so hard for me to take Kendra seriously... yay
    KMcBride
    KMcBride
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride January 9th 2013, 1:50 pm

Bumstead wrote:Have you seen the OSA ratings of these guys? Very few have even reasonable ratings.

. . . which is why there would be an advantage to participating in the draft. But at least the non-participating teams get something.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, and I've come to the conclusion that this is a very complicated problem. And I don't mean that to sound sarcastic; I'm being serious. The utility doesn't help us; in fact it seemed to create more problems. The system we are using right now is brutally slow, but besides that, even the predictability of knowing exactly when your pick is due hasn't helped owners get their pick, a list in on time. We cannot simply skip the teams that do not pick and punish them by waiving their draft picks forever, because that will damage the league in the long term. And we cannot find any agreed-upon "neutral" system for making a pick in someone's absence.

I think we can get through this draft using the forum, but once it is complete, I would really like to see us get a conversation going in the "Front Office" forum about how to do this differently in the future, so that everyone understands and is on the same page about what our priorities and goals are for drafts: efficiency or fairness? Ideally, I think we'd like both, but we are repeatedly being put in a position where we have to choose one over the other. Which is more important?
    WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat January 8th 2013, 9:09 pm

I downloaded in-game fine and had no issues.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 8th 2013, 8:41 pm

joepott wrote:I downloaded the new file and the game is crashing. I can't get to my draft list in game. Is anybody else having this problem?

Hmm.....It is now downloading another file. Odd

let me know if anyone else is having issues- Ill put up a new one.

Post by Guest January 8th 2013, 8:37 pm

I downloaded the new file and the game is crashing. I can't get to my draft list in game. Is anybody else having this problem?

Hmm.....It is now downloading another file. Odd
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead January 8th 2013, 5:47 pm

Have you seen the OSA ratings of these guys? Very few have even reasonable ratings. It's going to be real interesting to see how these guys turn out.
    KMcBride
    KMcBride
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride January 8th 2013, 5:18 pm

joepott wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    KMcBride wrote:Okay, it's been almost 5 hours and none of the teams who were auto-drafted have posted a make-up pick in the Drafts forum. It occurs to me that if these teams were not on top of things enough to participate in the draft in the utility, what makes us think that they will wake up and participate here? And, more importantly, what happens if they don't?

Here is my proposal (I think this is how it works in the NBA? or maybe it's the NFL?):

I propose that if someone's time expires and their selection is not made and they have not prepared a draft list, then the next team scheduled to pick should be permitted to draft a player, and on and on. If the skipped team wishes to make a choice sometime later, they may choose from the players remaining and available to draft at the time they are able to pick. If they do not make a pick before the completion of the draft, their draft picks are waived. Obviously, this would not apply to rounds not done in the utility/forum, where scouts can generate draft lists for absentee teams for the simmed rounds.

Thoughts?

Then you will create shitty teams bordering on pathetic and you won't be able to find/keep owners for those teams.

Agreed. In my other league I had like 3 lost drafts, with high draft picks with the team I took over.Evil or Very Mad

Okay, that's a fair criticism. The only other way to do it, then, is to have some generic "master list" of ranked prospects (maybe via OSA ratings, if there's a way to do that) and when a team does not make a pick in time, by default they get the highest remaining prospect available on the master list.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich January 7th 2013, 10:35 pm

joepott wrote:So are we doing a round a day? I am soooo confused right now. There Jeff I lobbed you a soft ball, kind of like your pitchers do for me in game.

the schedule is set up for a round a day. We can go as fast as everyone picks. But the most anyone has to pick is one pick a day. Your time is the same every day. We are doing a min of 5 rounds ending on Sat.

Tomorrow is round 1- wed round 2, thurs rd 3, fri round 4, and Sat round 5. Your picks are due the same time each day for the next round. If we do more than that - its everyone choice. Min we do 5 rounds live.

Post by Guest January 7th 2013, 10:06 pm

So are we doing a round a day? I am soooo confused right now. There Jeff I lobbed you a soft ball, kind of like your pitchers do for me in game.

Post by Guest January 7th 2013, 10:05 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    KMcBride wrote:Okay, it's been almost 5 hours and none of the teams who were auto-drafted have posted a make-up pick in the Drafts forum. It occurs to me that if these teams were not on top of things enough to participate in the draft in the utility, what makes us think that they will wake up and participate here? And, more importantly, what happens if they don't?

Here is my proposal (I think this is how it works in the NBA? or maybe it's the NFL?):

I propose that if someone's time expires and their selection is not made and they have not prepared a draft list, then the next team scheduled to pick should be permitted to draft a player, and on and on. If the skipped team wishes to make a choice sometime later, they may choose from the players remaining and available to draft at the time they are able to pick. If they do not make a pick before the completion of the draft, their draft picks are waived. Obviously, this would not apply to rounds not done in the utility/forum, where scouts can generate draft lists for absentee teams for the simmed rounds.

Thoughts?

Then you will create shitty teams bordering on pathetic and you won't be able to find/keep owners for those teams.

Agreed. In my other league I had like 3 lost drafts, with high draft picks with the team I took over.Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 8:43 pm