Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyJune 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMay 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMay 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyApril 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMarch 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMarch 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
Unsung Heroes in the Field EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 535 on June 19th 2021, 7:09 am

3 posters

Unsung Heroes in the Field

Unsung Heroes in the Field Empty Unsung Heroes in the Field

Post by Guest November 14th 2015, 6:45 pm

Unsung Heroes in the Field
    or
    How to Read the OOTP Game Log

First of all, I just read "The Rise of the North American Baseball League" and was thoroughly fascinated. Since joining a couple weeks ago, I sometimes wondered if this is the right online league for me. But I'm pretty sure now that I chose well. Although, of course only time will tell for sure.

Over at OOTP Forums a few of us have been hashing out the issue of fielding weaknesses in OOTP. My statement there was about how fielding stats are generally weaker than others and how this might be the underlying reason for any weakness in representing fielding on OOTP.

But there are areas where we can see good fielding reps. Where we find that, is in player profiles, especially in the BNN reports where a player's historical fielding stats are given, in the scouting ratings located on a player's profile, and also in the Game Logs. Below I give an example of how a particular player's fielding talent is possibly represented in one of our Game Logs.

Late in a close game, bottom of the 7th inning, we were winning 4-2 over the Charming Sons of Anarchy, and my Cleveland Barons were in the field. A.I. went to our bullpen and put in Tse-Tung Liu. A starter who I'd placed there after the first week, when his opening appearance was so god awful that, you know, I had that worrisome feeling about him. 

Liu has done fairly well in the bullpen since, and that despite what we know about his issues. Namely his personality states how he "cares more about himself than the team" and a few other things. Looking at his pitching quality, we see good splitter & cutter pitches with weaker curve ball and changeup. Scouting states his weakness is mostly in lack of movement, where "he has decent sink on his fastball down in the zone, but his other pitches are predictable; a lot of his breaking stuff hangs.." This explaining, at least to some extent why his type is listed as "Flyball Tendency."

While Charming's outfield isn't as deep as ours at Cleveland (450 feet at centerfield wall) it is big enough for outfielders with good range to get a workout. So this is also why we may be okay, putting in a few pitchers who get flyballs hit off them. Depending on how good our outfielders are, and we do have a few good ones. 

The Sons were batting the bottom of their order (8-9-1). But we were still biting one fingernail when we considered the struggles Cleveland has been having lately: bullpen staff has had a nasty habit of throwing away leads in late innings. 

So Liu gets ahead of the first batter, Kowalski, and then gets a routine groundout to 2nd. He then got ahead of the #9 batter, centerfielder Ramon. But Angel must have got a lead on one of those hangers and taps a fly into short centerfield on the left side. Where we expected it to fall in for a base hit.

Enter: Another egotistical character from the Barons by the name of Stanley Walker. A 32 year old outfield veteran, scouts say his personality has a "me-first attitude." But it also states that, in the left field position he is "a wizard on the defensive side of things; highlight reel plays are easy for this guy."

So Walker playing left field, comes across and makes the catch for the 2nd out. Where the location, short centerfield, in the middle of a large outfield, has gotta be a bitch play to make, depending of course on how high the fly was hit. 

As we're playing a weekly online sim, we aren't allowed to see the in-game scroll. But it's likely this was one of those plays the scroll gets excited about relating in detail: maybe a diving catch, stolen single etc. 

How do we know this? From reading the Game Log. Where it states: 1-2: Fly out F7 (Flyball 8LS) Meaning it was a 1-2 pitch hit on the fly toward short centerfield on the left side and caught for the out by the left fielder. Given the outfielder's propensity to make great catches, we can at least guess that it may have been an interesting play. Late inning outs (stolen hits) like this one tend to deflate the opposing team and sometimes account, at least partially, for a win in the end. Which we did, 5-2.

There are more intense examples of this kind of thing, where fielding gems are represented in game clinching plays that rob opposing offenses of gaining ground or even winning a game. I suggest that OOTP players take the time to find out about this stuff. Maybe we could create a thread on OOTP devoted to our interest in fielding. In the long run, game developers might take our lead and develop even better, more specific ways that gamers can participate in the finer details of this great game called Computer Simulation Baseball.

P.S. This was re-posted at OOTP Forum
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    --and so far it was complimented once by a Hall of Famer.

Last edited by fielding gem on November 19th 2015, 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
    bigrevkev55
    bigrevkev55
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Unsung Heroes in the Field Empty Cool

Post by bigrevkev55 November 15th 2015, 10:15 am

I love NaBL, however I wish the GMs were a little more active.  However, I am not always very active either depend on my life schedule.  However, I've tried to make trade deadline deals the last 2 season and I've not been able to find a partner. I'm glad you are in the league and it seems like you are going to be pretty active.

Unsung Heroes in the Field Empty Re: Unsung Heroes in the Field

Post by Guest November 15th 2015, 4:09 pm

Big Rev Kevin, you saved me this week from being over budget. Nobody had to do that, but you came forward and ate my one of my old dinosaur pitcher's salary by cutting him when I didn't have the cash to do it myself. In my book, that makes us partners for life, and it means anytime I can help you, I will make every effort to come to your aid. Much obliged & Cheers! on the great game of baseball.

Sincerely,

Joseph Schmolsky
    bigrevkev55
    bigrevkev55
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Unsung Heroes in the Field Empty Thanks

Post by bigrevkev55 November 15th 2015, 4:21 pm

Thanks but to be fair I need to say it wasn't just charity. I did get your 2nd round pick in the deal.  However, it is great to have someone in the league that is willing to think creatively with me to get a deal done!  We are in the same division so I'm sure things won't be so friendly once you get rebuilt....ha!  I'm looking forward to it!
    Rosco70
    Rosco70
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Rosco70 November 19th 2015, 6:00 pm

Nice post Fielding Gem, been a bit busy recently to check forums so just got round to reading it. With my teams I love having good defense, will only suffer a poor fielder if his bat is truly exceptional.

For bigrevkev, I don't mind trading if it's a player that fills a really big hole in my team but for me with the salary cap it's more important to keep my prospects to fill the gaps when you have to let players who want expensive contract extensions leave for free agency. Also I like to  keep cap space to sign my home grown players to extensions. For me I think it's the salary cap that restricts trades.

Post by Guest November 19th 2015, 6:27 pm

Rosco70 wrote:For me I think it's the salary cap that restricts trades.
     I hate it. But  learning to live with it I guess. Teaches you to go with less.

Scotland wow. Are you familiar with a rock star named John Waite?
    Rosco70
    Rosco70
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Rosco70 November 19th 2015, 7:11 pm

Yeh I remember Bad English, at least I think he was in that band.
    bigrevkev55
    bigrevkev55
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by bigrevkev55 November 20th 2015, 9:23 am

Rosco70 wrote:
    For bigrevkev, I don't mind trading if it's a player that fills a really big hole in my team but for me with the salary cap it's more important to keep my prospects to fill the gaps when you have to let players who want expensive contract extensions leave for free agency. Also I like to  keep cap space to sign my home grown players to extensions. For me I think it's the salary cap that restricts trades.

Rosco, I agree.  The salary cap brings a different set of challenges.  I really like the salary cap league as it makes for a different game than my other leagues.
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich November 20th 2015, 9:25 am

yeah the newer version of the game it harder to get good free agents that are not on the decline.  At least I find it easier to draft well and promote and trade only for that perfect fitting guy or the one guy that will help me get tho the World Series.  I used to sign a lot of free agents back in ootp3 now I only trade when I really need to.  I also used to trade all my draft picks back then - now I rarely.

Post by Guest January 12th 2016, 10:25 am

Rich wrote:yeah the newer version of the game it harder to get good free agents that are not on the decline.  At least I find it easier to draft well and promote and trade only for that perfect fitting guy or the one guy that will help me get tho the World Series.  I used to sign a lot of free agents back in ootp3 now I only trade when I really need to.  I also used to trade all my draft picks back then - now I rarely.

Looks like you're doing pretty well. I agree that it feels sticky in terms of developing players, especially ones that hit the free agent list. Not sure if that's a reflection of IRL changes (stats effect) or some added random OOTP algorithm.

Random player development boons/failures is the worst part of OOTP. Just doesn't seem realistic a lot of the time. Too drastic & nonsensical.

If stats have changed in the past dozen years... something tells me it might be coming from the rise in player population (minors, added leagues etc)

A lot of this is just coming from how full of crap scout ratings are.
    Clearly the problem with this game from the start.

I wouldn't mind playing in a league that turns scouting off. (pure ratings)

Btw, the debate on fielding (my OP) is huge at OOTP forum. The consensus is that the game is slugger biased. This becomes apparent in AI defensive substitutions & batting orders, for 2 examples, where weak fielders are put in because the game only recognized batting quality, particularly home run stats. Would you put in a weak fielder DR at centerfield because he has a strong HR rating? etc

The weird thing about it is how, even when AI places inappropriate fielders in late/close game situations, the fielder never screws up. Revealing that fielding ratings/ability is more random than based on ratings. Two things are the culprit: 1) scout fielding ratings are weak to completely bogus 2) even with scouting turned off, fielding stats hardly ever reflect the game IRL.

In batting orders, the most ludicrous example is AI's placing of catchers at the top of the order: a huge controversy at OOTP forum for several years now. Apparently the slugger bias overrides running speed too. There's an algorithm which automatically places #7 spot in #1 leadoff (catchers often bat 7th) so this is why catcher is put there. 

The controversy is between progressives vs traditional, where progressives (stat heads) believe stealing & bunting are overrated. Traditionally stealing & bunting were used for the obvious reasons. This goes back to early ball & the inside game (smallball) & then to progress from the advent of sluggers (Ruth etc) all the way to current stats based decisions.

But the most recent development in MLB is the focus on specific fielding ability. Such as this quote just last year from Anthony Castrovince at "Sports on Earth" website:

"The use of defensive shifts has exploded in Major League Baseball -- a 440-percent increase just since 2010, according to Baseball Info Solutions. So increasingly, defenses are judged not just by their personnel but how that personnel is specifically deployed, pitch by pitch."

(not allowed to post external links for a week with this new account---which I had to create because my old email got screwed up--- so I'll finagle the url. . . .

h t t p / / w w w . ------->>>

sportsonearth.com/article/109253898/top-10-mlb-defenses-for-2015

The point of all this is to bring attention to fielding oversights in OOTP's functioning so developers will hopefully improve the game. If you are also frustrated with AI lack of quality defensive managing decisions (and batting order, speed etc) go to OOTP fourm & complain about it. The more people who voice their opinion, the more developers will have to take notice & make improvements.

"USA citizenship is not a spectator sport. It's called a democracy for a reason." 
    --anonymous

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 11:27 pm