Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
International Free Agency EmptyJune 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
International Free Agency EmptyMay 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
International Free Agency EmptyMay 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
International Free Agency EmptyApril 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
International Free Agency EmptyMarch 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
International Free Agency EmptyMarch 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
International Free Agency EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
International Free Agency EmptyMarch 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
International Free Agency EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 535 on June 19th 2021, 7:09 am

3 posters

International Free Agency

Rich
    Rich
    Commish

International Free Agency Empty Re: International Free Agency

Post by Rich April 11th 2015, 8:39 am

Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    WhoDat wrote:Since I signed a significant number of these players I'm guessing you are referring to me.

I got the players because I offered them more money (above their request) than anyone else, seems reasonable that they would sign with me under those conditions.  I also think participation is low but if you offer the $$ you can get the players.  Next year I won't be able to sign many because I went over the soft cap and will be limited on what I can spend per player.

As for budgets, they range is 122M to 144M and I am at 132M which is ranked 16th in the league.  I had the money to spend because I manage my money well and I was willing to spend it.  Tacoma has $10m cash and $12mil budget room so could have bid higher.  I've had one of the better teams for most of the existence of the league but keep my payroll in check, currently at $77mil (22nd in the league).  I have had my budget dropped once or twice when the league has tried to balance things. You can be successful without spending a ton if you do a good job of replacing talent that is asking for big bucks.

My budget is $6mil more than Tacoma (which doesn't have the lowest budget by the way) while I am $14mil from the top end budgets.  I make things work with that and I manage my team within the limits set.  It can be done.

I know you are good at managing your team Mark.  But all but 1 of the decent players signed with you.  There was 1 sim and they all signed regardless.  No 2nd sim...No negotiations...guess, I got the rookie lesson in that I hadn't participated previously.  It's annoying to see every decent prospect from the international signing "pool" sign with the same team.  It just looks like an unfair process...I get that they are there and you know how the bidding goes and are able to use that to your advantage, it still seems like it shouldn't happen that way in this league...MLB, yeah...the budgets...if I'm not at the bottom, then that is the first year.  Plus, we had them at the same amount then apparently we just gave up and I still have a crappy owner that cuts my budget annually and apparently we can't make all owner ratings the same for whatever reason in a league with a salary cap...

At times I have put effort into this league and then there are the times when all of this annoying stuff that is easy to fix just makes me go back to doing nothing again.  This league has become pretty blah anyway partly because we don't have team forums where people can write...I enjoyed that and I had fun with it.  It increased my immersion into the league...but alas, I'm no longer in the league that I enjoyed the most and this one has become vanilla and we just let little things like budgets and owner ratings change the ability of teams to compete for no reason whatsoever.

I know you didn't do anything wrong and I'm not mad about it.  It just doesn't look right and was annoying when I only bid on 3 players anyway...and I bid over their asking price and still lost...which doesn't make a lot of sense to me...the one sim and done thing I didn't know about.  I assumed I would get a second sim to see what happened...

Jeff
    anyone can still write articles- just post it in the newspaper.  I got rid of the article forums for each team because it made the forum larger and only a few teams wrote and article once in a while. 

If anyone wants to write an article you can do it one of two ways -
    1) post it in the newspaper forum here in the forum- if your having trouble, just let me know

2) email it to me and I can post it in the game.

You and I both know it's not the same thing.  Your articles get intermingled with "all" of the other articles and nobody reads the newspaper part of the forum anyway.  Probably highly unlikely that it can be revived now...
    I can create a forum for you if thats want you/or any team a place for your articles - you just need to ask.  We had 24 team forums for articles- maybe 3 or 4 teams posted and article once in a while.  It died before the forums where deleted.

I'm not blaming you Rich...I just miss that part of the league.  We have a core group of guys that play in this league and have for quite a while and most of them don't write and wouldn't write.  Then we have a bunch of guys that come and go...just the way it has evolved.  I still miss the writing and reading other team's articles.  Made the league more interesting to ME.

I'm going to umpire a doubleheader now.  I just love the fact that real baseball is back in session!

Jeff
    I'm pumped about baseball too - my Mets took 2 out of 3 for Wash and hopefully Atlanta as well.

If you need something on the forum added or changed - just let me know.  I'm open to anything.  I tried to get that part of the league to grow but it hasn't.  I gave up pushing for it.  Thats on the GMs.  We have a very high export rate so I'm happy with that. 

I'm treating the forum as our history.  If I can keep it up you can look back each season and see what happened even as the html gets deleted.  I can add 1 forum for just GM created articles or I can create a team article forum for the teams that ask.

Reds 4-0!
    nice - Mets choked
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead April 11th 2015, 12:17 am

Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    WhoDat wrote:Since I signed a significant number of these players I'm guessing you are referring to me.

I got the players because I offered them more money (above their request) than anyone else, seems reasonable that they would sign with me under those conditions.  I also think participation is low but if you offer the $$ you can get the players.  Next year I won't be able to sign many because I went over the soft cap and will be limited on what I can spend per player.

As for budgets, they range is 122M to 144M and I am at 132M which is ranked 16th in the league.  I had the money to spend because I manage my money well and I was willing to spend it.  Tacoma has $10m cash and $12mil budget room so could have bid higher.  I've had one of the better teams for most of the existence of the league but keep my payroll in check, currently at $77mil (22nd in the league).  I have had my budget dropped once or twice when the league has tried to balance things. You can be successful without spending a ton if you do a good job of replacing talent that is asking for big bucks.

My budget is $6mil more than Tacoma (which doesn't have the lowest budget by the way) while I am $14mil from the top end budgets.  I make things work with that and I manage my team within the limits set.  It can be done.

I know you are good at managing your team Mark.  But all but 1 of the decent players signed with you.  There was 1 sim and they all signed regardless.  No 2nd sim...No negotiations...guess, I got the rookie lesson in that I hadn't participated previously.  It's annoying to see every decent prospect from the international signing "pool" sign with the same team.  It just looks like an unfair process...I get that they are there and you know how the bidding goes and are able to use that to your advantage, it still seems like it shouldn't happen that way in this league...MLB, yeah...the budgets...if I'm not at the bottom, then that is the first year.  Plus, we had them at the same amount then apparently we just gave up and I still have a crappy owner that cuts my budget annually and apparently we can't make all owner ratings the same for whatever reason in a league with a salary cap...

At times I have put effort into this league and then there are the times when all of this annoying stuff that is easy to fix just makes me go back to doing nothing again.  This league has become pretty blah anyway partly because we don't have team forums where people can write...I enjoyed that and I had fun with it.  It increased my immersion into the league...but alas, I'm no longer in the league that I enjoyed the most and this one has become vanilla and we just let little things like budgets and owner ratings change the ability of teams to compete for no reason whatsoever.

I know you didn't do anything wrong and I'm not mad about it.  It just doesn't look right and was annoying when I only bid on 3 players anyway...and I bid over their asking price and still lost...which doesn't make a lot of sense to me...the one sim and done thing I didn't know about.  I assumed I would get a second sim to see what happened...

Jeff
    anyone can still write articles- just post it in the newspaper.  I got rid of the article forums for each team because it made the forum larger and only a few teams wrote and article once in a while. 

1) post it in the newspaper forum here in the forum- if your having trouble, just let me know

You and I both know it's not the same thing.  Your articles get intermingled with "all" of the other articles and nobody reads the newspaper part of the forum anyway.  Probably highly unlikely that it can be revived now...
    I can create a forum for you if thats want you/or any team a place for your articles - you just need to ask.  We had 24 team forums for articles- maybe 3 or 4 teams posted and article once in a while.  It died before the forums where deleted.

I'm not blaming you Rich...I just miss that part of the league.  We have a core group of guys that play in this league and have for quite a while and most of them don't write and wouldn't write.  Then we have a bunch of guys that come and go...just the way it has evolved.  I still miss the writing and reading other team's articles.  Made the league more interesting to ME.

I'm going to umpire a doubleheader now.  I just love the fact that real baseball is back in session!

Jeff
    I'm pumped about baseball too - my Mets took 2 out of 3 for Wash and hopefully Atlanta as well.

If you need something on the forum added or changed - just let me know.  I'm open to anything.  I tried to get that part of the league to grow but it hasn't.  I gave up pushing for it.  Thats on the GMs.  We have a very high export rate so I'm happy with that. 

I'm treating the forum as our history.  If I can keep it up you can look back each season and see what happened even as the html gets deleted.  I can add 1 forum for just GM created articles or I can create a team article forum for the teams that ask.

Reds 4-0!
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich April 10th 2015, 3:50 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:

Jeff

Jeff

Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead April 10th 2015, 3:42 pm

Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:

Jeff

Jeff
    Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich April 10th 2015, 3:37 pm

Bumstead wrote:
    Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:

Jeff

Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead April 10th 2015, 2:44 pm

Rich wrote:
    Bumstead wrote:

Jeff

Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich April 10th 2015, 2:31 pm

Bumstead wrote:

Jeff

WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat April 10th 2015, 1:27 pm

Well I do agree I wish they would negotiate a bit longer.  The issue is that online leagues run 7-10 days sims and the bidding process is designed to be done day to day. That also applies to the FA process.  Both would be better if we simmed day-to-day (but that would slow things way down).  I would like to see OOTP implement the sim length into the negotiation process. Until then teams have to adjust to the way things work and put their best foot forward in any kind of 'negotiation' knowing its a one bid and done process.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead April 10th 2015, 1:02 pm

Jeff
    WhoDat
    WhoDat
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat April 10th 2015, 11:32 am

Since I signed a significant number of these players I'm guessing you are referring to me.

Rich
    Rich
    Commish

Post by Rich April 9th 2015, 9:34 pm

I don't know too much about intl free agents but my guess is they go with whomever has the highest signing bonus or contract.  This is the first time I participated and my bids where low compared to the winners.

There there to use up extra money in the game which is a good thing.  Just about every team is financially sound and should be able to spend the money on these players if they are interested.  I highly doubt any team could not offer a minor league contract with 300K signing bonus.  

My guess is most team did not make offers- I could be wrong.  At this point we are moving to ootp16 - which should have a lot of changes coming up.  So I'm not going to focus on ootp14 now as we are leaving it soon.
    Bumstead
    Bumstead
    T Ball'er
    T Ball'er

International Free Agency Empty International Free Agency

Post by Bumstead April 9th 2015, 8:36 pm

I'm really not trying to complain, but what's the point in having International Free Agency when all the players with any talent at all sign with the same team?  I offered more than they asked for and they still all signed with the same team outside of maybe one decent prospect.  Seems like just another farm system for that team as once again there are teams with budgets well in excess of other teams...I know this is a different subject, but in this particular league what is the reason for having different team budgets?  I guess I wouldn't have cared had I ignored international free agency again, but now I know that we have a team with a second feeder system....

You can take this as a complaint or an argument, but it's really a real question as is the budget question.

Jeff
    lowest budget always

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 6:33 am