Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
June 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
May 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
May 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
April 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
March 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
March 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
March 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
March 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
March 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 53 on October 7th 2015, 4:46 pm

Future rule change proposals

Rich
Commish

Re: Future rule change proposals

Post by Rich on March 3rd 2016, 3:31 pm

Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM wrote:Again, Rich you ought to join IBL just to see how well that site works. On site chat/pm/place for news & articles written by GMs. Good esthetic layout. Fast. They use a "points" format for writing incentive: people who write articles get points that work like cash for upgrading stadium etc. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They will let you in before you have to pick a team & commit.

You can find out who the provider is & then go from there.
this league has been going on since the late 90s.  I hear what your saying.  We have done it all.  We had points/we had cash.  Half the league was/is against writing incentives.  Creating and editing players throws the system off long term.  I got rid of it because no one used- we only got a few articles.  And I got tired of keeping track of posts and participation for no reason.

Your not wrong - but if someone doesn't want to write they are not going to write for points that are useless.  Unless to edit players there is no benefit to upgrading your stadium.  You can only do that so much.  Plus it throws the finances out of wack.  And with a cap and cash max- you can make 50 million more but it just goes in the garbage.  You need the right group of GMs for a writing league.  i've been in them and they are fun when people write.  But the people have to like to write.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

shoutbox/ or this chat

Post by Rich on March 3rd 2016, 3:35 pm

so I might not been able to get shout box on this forum but we had it on the ahiba2 and ahib3 site. This site has a chat box that was active at some point.  If we want shoutbox we need to switch to proboards as I already have it set up.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 3:45 pm

...you can ignore me ... lol

Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on March 7th 2016, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on March 3rd 2016, 3:54 pm

Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM wrote:
Rich wrote:
Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM wrote:Again, Rich you ought to join IBL just to see how well that site works. On site chat/pm/place for news & articles written by GMs. Good esthetic layout. Fast. They use a "points" format for writing incentive: people who write articles get points that work like cash for upgrading stadium etc. 

They will let you in before you have to pick a team & commit.

You can find out who the provider is & then go from there.
this league has been going on since the late 90s.  I hear what your saying.  We have done it all.  We had points/we had cash.  Half the league was/is against writing incentives.  Creating and editing players throws the system off long term.  I got rid of it because no one used- we only got a few articles.  And I got tired of keeping track of posts and participation for no reason.

Your not wrong - but if someone doesn't want to write they are not going to write for points that are useless.  Unless to edit players there is no benefit to upgrading your stadium.  You can only do that so much.  Plus it throws the finances out of wack.  And with a cap and cash max- you can make 50 million more but it just goes in the garbage.  You need the right group of GMs for a writing league.  i've been in them and they are fun when people write.  But the people have to like to write.

I would have written articles on IBL just to use the nice looking magazine/photos layout. Man, you are too negative. If you don't have time to commish you should quit & let someone with a fresh attitude do it who's into spending the time. I'm just trying to help. Clearly this NABL website is outdated & needs an overhaul. All I'm saying is that whoever takes charge of revamping the league should look at IBL because their layout is good. The layout will invite people to participate. You're getting me wrong. I'm not caring so much about people writing articles. They don't have so many people writing articles either. But the league is better MAINLY because when you chime into the site you are immediately on this page with live chat. THAT is what I'm saying more than anything. Sorry I got sidetracked about the article writing. Fuck the article writing. Just change this NABL site so it looks/feels like you're not spending time in the dark ages. FONT IS TOO SMALL. FONT TYPE IS BORING. NO LIVE CHAT ON SITE. FORMAT FOR AMATEUR DRAFT IS CONFUSING. These are the things that turn people off. You wont get anyone to join the league until you upgrade these things. Why should people join when they can go over to a league that looks & feels better, has live chat on the forum page, has promo that is clear & not confusing, has a variety of things to look at instead of a serial killer making jokes about his bloody skull uniform. lol (all due respect to Charming of course)
the magazine layout is a website.  Your comparing too different things.  This is a forum.  IBL forum is this -

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 4:09 pm

..there isn't enough talent available in the pool...

Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on March 7th 2016, 8:33 am; edited 5 times in total
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on March 3rd 2016, 4:20 pm

Why should people join when they can go over to a league that looks & feels better, has live chat on the forum page, has promo that is clear & not confusing, has a variety of things to look at instead of a serial killer making jokes about his bloody skull uniform. lol (all due respect to Charming of course)

p.s. Or you can ignore me & we can just continue with what we have. Cut the league down & play with less teams. I'm okay with that too. Whatever you wanna do, man.

First I'm going to ignore your rudeness to Rich.

Second, you join this league because there are many, many OOTP players on here that have spent years becoming good players, which makes it a challenge to beat them.  You play this league because the COMMISSIONER who you think it "too friggin negative" has put 1000's of hours into keeping running.  He has also put his own money into the websites and utilities that we use now and have in the past.  You join this league because it is in its 11th OOTP season and isn't going anywhere.  It isn't one of these leagues with the nice websites that just shuts down in the middle of season 2 because the commissioner gets bored with it because he's not winning.  You join NABL because you can trust the commissioner to operate his team without cheating.

Why you don't like the Charming SOB's is beyond me.  From what I can tell, other than being from NYC, he's a really nice guy that just happens to like a TV show that apparently offends you.

Rich has asked you repeatedly to pony up your talent and ideas into creating a better forum.  I haven't seen any progress there from you.  This is a free fantasy sim that our COMMISSIONER devotes an inordinate amount of time to.  I think maybe you have gone off the deep end a bit.

Tacoma
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on March 3rd 2016, 4:46 pm

I think we should reconsider this whole process of finding new owners.  I think we should vote on getting references prior to adding a new owner.   I mean, what's stopping us from getting some person that just comes on our forum to start problems?  Might save us from owners that just come for that one season, whine because they have to work at building a good team, and then blow up the forum with all sorts of adolescent BS.  

I mean, can you imagine what that would be like?

Tacoma

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 5:02 pm

bigrevkev55 wrote:I recommended AIM because it allows you to chat in Real-Time.  Whereas when you use PMs in the forum it can take FOREVER. 

I much prefer AIM over slack because I already have it on all my devices and since my phone is with me 24/7 I can respond very quickly when someone messages me there.  
I don't have AIM (AOL online) on all my devices. I just tried to instal again & it dicked me around & wouldn't work again. Sorry I guess AOL & me just dont mix. lol
KMcBride
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride on March 3rd 2016, 5:23 pm

bigrevkev55 wrote:I recommended AIM because it allows you to chat in Real-Time.  Whereas when you use PMs in the forum it can take FOREVER. 

I much prefer AIM over slack because I already have it on all my devices and since my phone is with me 24/7 I can respond very quickly when someone messages me there.  
I don't have AIM (AOL online) on all my devices. I just tried to instal again & it dicked me around & wouldn't work again. Sorry I guess AOL & me just dont mix. lol

There have got to be dozens of options for this.  I mean, just looking through the google play store, there are at least 10 different apps for instant messaging right there, which I'm sure are also available for apple products.  Kik is one I have used in the past, and it works well.   

I have also used gmail/google to direct message and chat with an owner in this league, which I didn't even know existed.  He said he reached out to me when he saw we both had gmail addresses.  google hangouts is a great option for  this, especially since so many of us already have gmail/google accounts.  

Most of us are also on facebook, even if we're not "friends" yet, so facebook direct messaging and the "facebook messenger" app is also another option.   I encourage everyone who is on facebook to like the James Gordon - NABL Commissioner page so that other GMs can find you there and contact you directly through Facebook.  

If we'd rather implement a more anonymous method, I'd recommend google hangouts, which also comes as a free iphone and android app.

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 5:28 pm

post deleted

Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on March 7th 2016, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on March 3rd 2016, 5:40 pm

Bumstead wrote:
Why should people join when they can go over to a league that looks & feels better, has live chat on the forum page, has promo that is clear & not confusing, has a variety of things to look at instead of a serial killer making jokes about his bloody skull uniform. lol (all due respect to Charming of course)

p.s. Or you can ignore me & we can just continue with what we have. Cut the league down & play with less teams. I'm okay with that too. Whatever you wanna do, man.

First I'm going to ignore your rudeness to Rich.

Second, you join this league because there are many, many OOTP players on here that have spent years becoming good players, which makes it a challenge to beat them.  You play this league because the COMMISSIONER who you think it "too friggin negative" has put 1000's of hours into keeping running.  He has also put his own money into the websites and utilities that we use now and have in the past.  You join this league because it is in its 11th OOTP season and isn't going anywhere.  It isn't one of these leagues with the nice websites that just shuts down in the middle of season 2 because the commissioner gets bored with it because he's not winning.  You join NABL because you can trust the commissioner to operate his team without cheating.

Why you don't like the Charming SOB's is beyond me.  From what I can tell, other than being from NYC, he's a really nice guy that just happens to like a TV show that apparently offends you.

Rich has asked you repeatedly to pony up your talent and ideas into creating a better forum.  I haven't seen any progress there from you.  This is a free fantasy sim that our COMMISSIONER devotes an inordinate amount of time to.  I think maybe you have gone off the deep end a bit.

Tacoma

Well, sorry to have offended you, but actually sometimes it's good to have someone come in & stir things up. Developers of OOTP recognize that as a personality that can sometimes be what a team needs. (see various player personalities: upstarts, jokesters etc)

What part of "I'm okay with that" (the league as is) didn't you read after I wrote it?

"(all due respect to Charming of course)"

"It just may be (not that I agree) that the predominance lately of Charming's death metal esthetic on this forum could maybe sorta kinda be the reason some people are turning off to NABL???    Again, not my opinion."

Thrice stated that "it is not my opinion", "all due respect to Charming", "not that I agree".. He knows I like his bloody stuff. I've joked about it before. He knew how to take the joke & we both laughed about it. I was only stating that possibly visitors who are prospective GMs might think it's a little weird & turn off. All I'm doing is trying to help. You should chill, man. True, I'm stumbling around trying to figure what the problem of recruiting might be. Again, sorry if I offended you.

I said Rich was "too negative" (YOU added the "friggin" : not fair) only because he was cutting off every suggestion I made. Read the rest & discover how I realized it was all about the money and said I was "sorry, didn't realize that"... Now who is jumping to conclusions? You should have waited before jumping down my back about being insulting.

"Rich has asked you repeatedly to pony up your talent and ideas into creating a better forum.  I haven't seen any progress there from you. "

I have no idea what you are talking about. What talent?

I've done the backstroke before.  I know how it works.  Keep strokin.'  And, yes, it's fair.  And I don't care if you live in the same house as the Charming SOB guy, I wanted to make sure I got my dig in.  As to your thoughts on all his posts, I can't remember seeing him post in a long time...Rich didn't reject anything, he asked for someone to do it because he didn't feel he could do it.

I will now return to watching the backstroke.  You never really explained your trade whinings...If you happen to have a real #1/#2 starting pitcher that makes $10M I might actually trade for him.  Trades, so many vast ideas of value and so many people...

Tacoma

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 5:50 pm

KMcBride wrote:
There have got to be dozens of options for this.  I mean, just looking through the google play store, there are at least 10 different apps for instant messaging right there, which I'm sure are also available for apple products.  Kik is one I have used in the past, and it works well.   
I have also used gmail/google to direct message and chat with an owner in this league, which I didn't even know existed.  He said he reached out to me when he saw we both had gmail addresses.  google hangouts is a great option for  this, especially since so many of us already have gmail/google accounts.  

.... facebook ... etc
I don't use gmail & some other GMs here also don't use it.

IMHO your best suggestion was this:

"In that other league there is a chat feature on the main page of the forum.  Its really cool and very effective.  I encourage Rich to take a look at it.  The website is http://www.mlbdreamsootpsim.com/forum2/index.php. .......

.... I know Rich tried to get a chat feature here but it didn't work because it wasn't on the main page."

Then Rich wrote that he's pretty sure having a chat mixed into a forum page costs money. . so, not sure where to go with that.. But it would be nice to have chat right on our forum page obviously. Maybe you'll pursue this option? Because Rich seems to be burdened with too much stuff to have to go figure out what needs to be done. Whereas you seem to be fairly internet savvy about all this.
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by WhoDat on March 3rd 2016, 5:58 pm

p.s. Honestly, I didn't like that you (the commish) were attempting to fleece me for fresh picks last time we were on PM. When I see that happening, it shows me that there isn't enough talent available in the pool. This is especially true with pitchers. I know you guys have had it out before over the pitcher thing. But when the commish has 26 year old pitchers who are way above the quality of my pitchers (on a team I just joined) & then he's ready to trade them for picks, what am I supposed to think? That I'll play dumb & give away picks in a league that makes it difficult to afford keeping older players paid? Make tough decisions, sure. But the commish is trying to make deals with new GMs because he knows the pool is a sad picture.. . . whatever

This is something that is going to drive away perspective GMs more than any ugly skull thing (and you sure you are referring to Charming? I haven't seen many posts from him lately and I did have one ugly ass avatar up for a bit).  Sounds like you are accusing the commish of taking advantage of you (and new GMs) because he was offering you 26yo SP for draft picks.  Someone coming in reads this and could very well come away with the idea that the commish is doing something wrong/unethical.  Now, I don't think that is what you are saying, I hope, but I had to read it a bunch of times and take into account your other posts before I was sure.

It is good to have some energy from more GMs to try to make things better but your mega rants on the issues you perceive in the league could be a lot more constructive if they weren't also insulting (generally immediately followed by an apology....how about just drop the initial insult).

I think Rich and the rest of the league appreciates constructive input but any good input provided gets lost in the seemingly insulting/accusing comments.

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 6:02 pm

Okay fine no trading. I'd be okay with making no trades too IF there was plenty to work with in the youngster pool. I'm only saying because Kevin told me he suggested balancing by adding more quality pitchers years ago & nobody would listen to him. All I'm looking for is more talent to work with because I happen to not like the grind being quite so barren. I explained before that the comparison was with a game I'm playing against A.I. which feels like there's more talent. I explained before that I was wondering if somehow talent gets reduced over time since this league is a quarter century down the line.

Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on March 7th 2016, 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
KMcBride
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by KMcBride on March 3rd 2016, 6:14 pm

Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM wrote:I'm only saying because Kevin told me he suggested balancing by adding more quality pitchers years ago & nobody would listen to him. 

It's not that no one would listen, it's that to the best of my recollection, it couldn't be done in a way that we all thought was fair.  I went looking for that discussion thread and couldn't find it.

I still think that if there was a little more pitching talent available in drafts, it would balance out the league and correct some of the salary cap and free agency issues.  Last draft was absolutely horrible for pitching talent.

But, really, that's slightly off topic . . . 

I'm willing to take on the responsibility of recruiting.  I can't promise that I will be awesome at it, but I'll give it my best.  I think we're hearing that Rich wants some help running the league, and I think if we give a shit about this league, we need to give it to him.    I think we are also hearing feedback that the forum could also be re-worked with some new options (live chat? IM?), re-organized and maybe re- . . . designed?   If someone could step up who had an idea how to get that done, that would be greeeaaat.
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on March 3rd 2016, 6:43 pm

I always find it best to give my opinion and not try and make it seems like I have 7 other owners out there that feel the same way, they just aren't posting.  Are you their captain?  My guess is that this is all just fluff because I didn't even know you existed until today and I'm sure all these owners that you are speaking for (that don't have gmail; tough to acquire) can speak for themselves.  I know Kevin can.  

Pitchers appear weak in most leagues.  It's an OOTP thing.  I think Markus would admit to that if one provided multiple files and pinned him down on it.  But, regardless, pitchers are only rated against other pitchers; they are going to put up numbers very close to whatever the league totals are in the settings regardless of their ratings.

When I look for a league, I am more interested in a league that's been around through multiple versions and then I look at its settings.  I could care less about how pretty the forum is.  At this point, if I can't find a league that has been around for 10+ OOTP seasons and has familiar names (long term recognizable OOTP players, not friends) in it, then I'm not interested in it.  The only exception would be if someone like DVA or Rich started a league.

PS: DVA - your avatar isn't as(s) ugly as it was before!

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 7:13 pm

I still don't like the too small fonts on here. lol

Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on March 7th 2016, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 7:32 pm

post deleted

Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on March 7th 2016, 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 7:37 pm

Bumstead wrote:When I look for a league, I am more interested in a league that's been around through multiple versions and then I look at its settings.  I could care less about how pretty the forum is.  At this point, if I can't find a league that has been around for 10+ OOTP seasons and has familiar names (long term recognizable OOTP players, not friends) in it, then I'm not interested in it.  The only exception would be if someone like DVA or Rich started a league.
I assume your concerned about cheaters. Can you give me an example of that happening in a league you were in? Honestly, I'm new to online & am curious.

Post by Guest on March 3rd 2016, 7:52 pm

I like to move players up & down from AAA to Active. It costs money. This is where the tough decisions come in & it just always seems like an unnecessary pinch. I look at real team rosters & see a lot of players.
My 40 is not full because I can't afford it? Wanna make sure I keep well under the cap for extensions later in the season (as per Chicago GM's suggestion). What team IRL doesn't keep their 40 full? Honestly. Am I wrong to make note of this?
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on March 3rd 2016, 8:06 pm

Bumstead wrote:I always find it best to give my opinion and not try and make it seems like I have 7 other owners out there that feel the same way, they just aren't posting.  Are you their captain?  My guess is that this is all just fluff because I didn't even know you existed until today and I'm sure all these owners that you are speaking for (that don't have gmail; tough to acquire) can speak for themselves.  I know Kevin can.  

Pitchers appear weak in most leagues.  It's an OOTP thing.  I think Markus would admit to that if one provided multiple files and pinned him down on it.  But, regardless, pitchers are only rated against other pitchers; they are going to put up numbers very close to whatever the league totals are in the settings regardless of their ratings.

When I look for a league, I am more interested in a league that's been around through multiple versions and then I look at its settings.  I could care less about how pretty the forum is.  At this point, if I can't find a league that has been around for 10+ OOTP seasons and has familiar names (long term recognizable OOTP players, not friends) in it, then I'm not interested in it.  The only exception would be if someone like DVA or Rich started a league.

PS: DVA - your avatar isn't as(s) ugly as it was before!
Loyalty is what it is. And somebody complaining about things that might need improvement is gonna be going up against that loyalty.  That is the nature of change. Nothing stays the same in this universe.
people have cheated, whether running multiple teams or commish can cheat.  Most leagues I joined folded with the exception of TMBU.  You could also have collusion between 2 players.  I never been part of a league where cheating happened that I know about.  You usually can tell.  There was one league that a guy had a few teams and was trading with himself between the teams and it damaged the leauge.  It was a league with 20+ years history.  It was years back.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on March 3rd 2016, 8:25 pm

alright- so I'm not seeing any major change requests to the league rules.  We are fine with sim schedule, rules, and how we play the game.  There was 1 suggestion to speed up the playoffs/off season which we can do.  We have awhile to deal with that.

1. speed up playoff/offseason - that we can do no problem.  

we have the following cosmetic changes-

1. website -  we have a website.  I will clean it up and let you know when its ready.  It might take me a while to find a good template to post articles- I went away from that when the writing died.

2. IM Chat -  we have PM on the forum and I added IM on the forum.  There is also an IM on the the website.  I also created a forum on proboards that has shoutbox at the bottom if that is preferred.  I dont think they let me add shoutbox to this forum.

3. forum - if you don't like the way the forum looks then you need to find a free template that looks better.  We use invision but I can change it to phbb or phbb3 or whatever they call them.  I like this the best of the options that I found.  The proboards forum that I made in Oct is here: http://ootpnabl.boards.net/  Maybe you like this better with shoutbox on the bottom and we can close the catorgories which I dont think we can do on the current forum.

We got the whole season - so keep the discussions going and if you think of something post it.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on March 3rd 2016, 8:34 pm

KMcBride wrote:

.... facebook ... etc
I don't use gmail & some other GMs here also don't use it.

IMHO your best suggestion was this:

"In that other league there is a chat feature on the main page of the forum.  Its really cool and very effective.  I encourage Rich to take a look at it.  The website is http://www.mlbdreamsootpsim.com/forum2/index.php. .......

.... I know Rich tried to get a chat feature here but it didn't work because it wasn't on the main page."

Then Rich wrote that he's pretty sure having a chat mixed into a forum page costs money. . so, not sure where to go with that.. But it would be nice to have chat right on our forum page obviously. Maybe you'll pursue this option? Because Rich seems to be burdened with too much stuff to have to go figure out what needs to be done. Whereas you seem to be fairly internet savvy about all this.
the forum have module you can add features.  Some are free and some cost money.  This forum has a ive chat feature included for free which is one of the reasons I picked this.

Somewhere you mentioned the draft.  This is a utility that most leagues use.  There are only 3 ways to draft- So any league you join will use 1 of these methods.  Unless they wrote there own and didn't share it.  It works fine depending on your browser.  You need to use a different browser if its not working.

1. live/forum
2. getch utilities
3. Statslab

some prefer getch and some prefer statslab.  We have both here but I like statslab better for the draft.  Live/forum is the best if you have a year to do a draft.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on March 4th 2016, 10:42 am

FYI - you must log in to see most of the stuff.  as a guest you will only see very limited stuff.  When logged in there will be links to statslab, forum, html, and other stuff.

There is a live chat at the bottom right corner....

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Post by Guest on March 7th 2016, 8:24 am

Rich wrote:people have cheated, whether running multiple teams or commish can cheat.  Most leagues I joined folded with the exception of TMBU.  You could also have collusion between 2 players.  I never been part of a league where cheating happened that I know about.  You usually can tell.  There was one league that a guy had a few teams and was trading with himself between the teams and it damaged the leauge.  It was a league with 20+ years history.  It was years back.
That's terrible. I hope it doesn't happen in this league.

Btw I'm gonna delete the joking around I wrote before (inappropriate)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is June 26th 2017, 1:15 am