Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
June 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
May 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
May 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
April 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
March 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
March 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
March 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
March 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
March 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None


Most users ever online was 53 on October 7th 2015, 4:46 pm


Where is the sim?

Share

Guest
Guest

Where is the sim?

Post by Guest on February 17th 2016, 11:56 pm

Why am I attempting to download latest at 11:45 PM EST & still finding no scheduled sim?

My game is still at 2/11/30 & tonight is supposed to take us to 2/20/30


Wed 2/17/16 PM 02/11/2030 -  02/20/2030  - Pre Season Sim #4
avatar
Rich
Commish

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2012-10-12
Location : Long Island NY

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Rich on February 18th 2016, 7:40 pm

sorry - sick kid


_________________
Richard J. Rutkowski
North Shore Honu
2020-Present
.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Guest
Guest

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Guest on February 18th 2016, 11:09 pm

Well that is completely understandable. Must be pretty cold out there in NY. Thanks for snapping back to attention.. sorry I had to whine about it.

Update the ticker, man. Thanks.




It's the little things that count.
avatar
bigrevkev55
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 82
Join date : 2015-03-03
Age : 40
Location : Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by bigrevkev55 on February 18th 2016, 11:56 pm

Rich wrote:sorry - sick kid
Hope all is well!  

At this point of the pre-season we can have non-roster invitees right?
avatar
Rich
Commish

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2012-10-12
Location : Long Island NY

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Rich on February 19th 2016, 9:25 am

bigrevkev55 wrote:
Rich wrote:sorry - sick kid
Hope all is well!  

At this point of the pre-season we can have non-roster invitees right?
yes although I never did it or know how?  

Also, I also get a few emails on this.  The last sim the game will force promote players to the major league roster.  You can leave them there, trade them, move them down, or waive them if they are out of options.  I believe its the guy on the 40 man roster with a certain amount of experience.  Its normal and apart of the game to keep team from stocking players and encourage player movement.


_________________
Richard J. Rutkowski
North Shore Honu
2020-Present
.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Guest
Guest

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Guest on February 23rd 2016, 1:33 am

Player movement? We're frozen here. WTF is stocking players in a league where the salary cap is so low you can barely afford to keep a meager list of ML active players over age 26? I was forced to turn down a decent trade because of this goddamn low salary cap. All this does is make a standard of "out with the old & in with the new." Regardless how well older guys may be playing. A ridiculous bias against older players: unrealistic.

You should change the name of the league to Logan's Run.
avatar
Rich
Commish

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2012-10-12
Location : Long Island NY

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Rich on February 23rd 2016, 9:31 am

Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM wrote:Player movement? We're frozen here. WTF is stocking players in a league where the salary cap is so low you can barely afford to keep a meager list of ML active players over age 26? I was forced to turn down a decent trade because of this goddamn low salary cap. All this does is make a standard of "out with the old & in with the new." Regardless how well older guys may be playing. A ridiculous bias against older players: unrealistic.

You should change the name of the league to Logan's Run.
I'm not sure what you want me to say.  Other than turning the cap off - this is the way the game runs- they are not league rules.  The game was not modified - it was created with the normal settings.  The cap influences the game but its been discussed several times and most of the league wants the cap.  Other than that - the league runs with the standard game finances, rules and events.  If there were no cap the player would most likely not be available for a trade anyways until they suck.


_________________
Richard J. Rutkowski
North Shore Honu
2020-Present
.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-10-13
Location : Ewing, NJ

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by WhoDat on February 23rd 2016, 1:38 pm

The majority of my major league talent is over 26 (in fact my average age last year was 27+) and I still have $4mil cap space. So holding onto older talent can be done.

Without a cap I would have been able to hold onto Castro, Laurent, Dennis, Tatonio and Santos the last 2 off-seasons.  $95 mil is adequate to maintain a productive lineup (if managed well and with a bit of luck) while preventing teams from locking guys up for all their productive years.   Seems to me the cap is doing what it is supposed to do, forcing some turnover of some pretty good players so teams have a chance to improve their teams.

The challenge is that you have to make tough decisions (Castro, Laurent, Tatonio) and plan for not only the present but the future.

Edit: At this point half the league has $10 mil plus cap space.  Doesn't seem that there is a huge issue with teams not having money to spend.  I also don't see star players sitting in the FA pool because teams can't sign them.
avatar
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-10-13
Location : Ewing, NJ

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by WhoDat on February 23rd 2016, 2:34 pm

bigrevkev55 wrote:
Rich wrote:sorry - sick kid
Hope all is well!  

At this point of the pre-season we can have non-roster invitees right?

Yes, NRIs can be added to your spring training roster at any point during spring training.  You have to remember at the end of ST if an NRI makes your opening day lineup that you have to add them to your 40-man roster or the sim will be stopped and the commish will have to intervene.

Rich wrote:
bigrevkev55 wrote:
Rich wrote:sorry - sick kid
Hope all is well!  

At this point of the pre-season we can have non-roster invitees right?
yes although I never did it or know how?  

Also, I also get a few emails on this.  The last sim the game will force promote players to the major league roster.  You can leave them there, trade them, move them down, or waive them if they are out of options.  I believe its the guy on the 40 man roster with a certain amount of experience.  Its normal and apart of the game to keep team from stocking players and encourage player movement.

All players on a team's 40 man roster are automatically placed on your spring training roster.  This forces teams to use minor league options on players when they return them to a minor league roster after spring training.

This is essentially how it works IRL.  Actually IRL the MLB does not have an active 25-man roster during the off season (and no disabled list).  They only have the 40-man roster hence all players on their 40-man roster are automatically on their spring training roster and a minor league option is used when players are sent to the minors.  (technically the option is used when they play their first game of the season in the minors).

Minor league options are used to keep teams from keeping players in the minor leagues when they could potentially fill a role for some team's major league roster.
avatar
Rich
Commish

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2012-10-12
Location : Long Island NY

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Rich on February 23rd 2016, 7:04 pm

WhoDat wrote:The majority of my major league talent is over 26 (in fact my average age last year was 27+) and I still have $4mil cap space. So holding onto older talent can be done.

Without a cap I would have been able to hold onto Castro, Laurent, Dennis, Tatonio and Santos the last 2 off-seasons.  $95 mil is adequate to maintain a productive lineup (if managed well and with a bit of luck) while preventing teams from locking guys up for all their productive years.   Seems to me the cap is doing what it is supposed to do, forcing some turnover of some pretty good players so teams have a chance to improve their teams.

The challenge is that you have to make tough decisions (Castro, Laurent, Tatonio) and plan for not only the present but the future.

Edit: At this point half the league has $10 mil plus cap space.  Doesn't seem that there is a huge issue with teams not having money to spend.  I also don't see star players sitting in the FA pool because teams can't sign them.
star sittng in FA not signed would be an issue for me which we don't see often.  Which is good.


_________________
Richard J. Rutkowski
North Shore Honu
2020-Present
.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Guest
Guest

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Guest on February 24th 2016, 11:53 pm

(quote feature didn't work)


Last edited by Pete_Keegan_Denver_GM on February 24th 2016, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Guest on February 24th 2016, 11:59 pm

" If there were no cap the player would most likely not be available for a trade anyways until they suck." --Rich


Not true (maybe for you tho?) People trade good players when they need to fill a spot. Balanced trades are the best kind of trades. (unless you prefer to be a swindler)

The problem with a low salary cap is that it inhibits trading & biases the game against older players. Actually there are good players left on the FA. Many more than are in my game I'm playing against the computer right now: OOTP16, year 2015. 

This off season in NABL I lost some great players that I would have resigned & who got signed by other teams. I would have made more trades; normally I make about a half dozen trades including good players. There are enough good players to go around. Everybody has their own idea/plans on filling out their teams. Your attitude, however assumes that everyone knows who the limited amount of good players are & doesn't trade for that reason. Well, yeah. If you make it impossible to afford anything but younger players.

One thing that pans on your side of the argument (all of you who support the low cap  & prefer young players) is how OOTP is itself biased against older players in how it sabotages their ability. Scout ratings go the other way because it's assumed (in the game's synthesizer of algorithms) that scouts aren't sure about a player's ability when they are younger. 

The reason for this is how OOTP is based on statistics & stats only show ability after a player has enough playing time to build up the stat. This is absolutely unrealistic (managers can see playing ability during practice) but it's how all stats heads think & it's all we get in OOTP. Consequently everything gets turned upside down in scout ratings: the only ratings we have + stats which is the same thing: waiting for stats to prove something about a player. Upside down: 1) a guessing game for young players 2) supposedly more solid ratings for older players with lots of stats to create the rating, but then sabotaged by the game's algorithm apparently in order to balance the game toward this idea that younger players are better.

A lot of people believe that younger players are better. You see this attitude everywhere IRL. Is it true? It should be obvious that more experienced players have certain advantages that experience gives them: intelligent playing. Younger players generally have more stamina and, to some extent, physical prowess. In the game of baseball, however, more often than not smarts & experience give players an advantage over braun/stamina. But this intelligence over braun factor is found mostly in specific playing situations. It's what "talent" is mostly about, in both hitting & fielding. 

OOTP, however is a game based not as much on specific in-game (at the moment) talent which can be seen as one watches the game. Rather, OOTP is a game based on the long term. How players look over entire seasons & entire careers. Such as how owners & other business minded people see the game. Over the long term, it becomes apparent that older players haven't the stamina that younger players have. So we see the game's synthesizer sabotaging older players in order to keep with this concept: in order to show that their long-term stats wane as they get older & as the long season wears on. The problem I have with that is is doesn't give players a chance to prove themselves with specific managing techniques. Such as use an older player for specific things & younger player for other things. It's too broad & assuming.

P.S. IMO if it's found that a league doesn't have a surplus of good players to go around, then it should be the responsibility of the commish to create more good players. (create a player function). That is how I would run a league: with no salary cap. But this isn't my league, so again, only IMO. I respect the rules of the league I'm playing in & hope for the best.  Smile

Guest
Guest

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Guest on February 25th 2016, 12:58 am

 by WhoDat Yesterday at 10:38 am
The majority of my major league talent is over 26 (in fact my average age last year was 27+) and I still have $4mil cap space. So holding onto older talent can be done.

Without a cap I would have been able to hold onto Castro, Laurent, Dennis, Tatonio and Santos the last 2 off-seasons.  $95 mil is adequate to maintain a productive lineup (if managed well and with a bit of luck) while preventing teams from locking guys up for all their productive years.   Seems to me the cap is doing what it is supposed to do, forcing some turnover of some pretty good players so teams have a chance to improve their teams.

The challenge is that you have to make tough decisions (Castro, Laurent, Tatonio) and plan for not only the present but the future.



IMO you shouldn't have to deal with that challenge. It limits your opportunities to make trades. Keeping all five of those players would not necessarily "lock them down" into your roster. You would realize that you have a surplus & this would open up your thinking about trading for specific players to fill specific managing ideas. 

With more cap space GMs would think about trading older players around & actually using them more. Instead of the way Rich plays, which is to never use older players. Again, the game is biased against good performances throughout a season by older players: too general & not specific enough. For this reason, we will see Honu winning more because he makes "tough decisions" which are really just eliminating 95% of older players from active ML roles. 

Players between age 29-34 are an interesting lot. Especially pitchers & infielders. The game biased against players over 30 + this low salary cap causes an overall bias against certain managing style, namely defensive. OOTP is also biased against fielding & biased for sluggers. All in all, a defensive style of managing fights an uphill battle against unrealistic biased computer program. This allows a clever GM like Rich to "play" the OOTP program against a manager who thinks more realistically about defensive and complex managing ideas and loses because the program doesn't respond. 

OOTP Forum is filled with complaints through the years from players trying to get the game to properly use DR (defensive replacements) and other specific managing stuff. The only way to actually get a realistic game is to play it pitch by pitch. No online league allows anyone to do that. I've been sitting here watching the game screw up my bullpen throughout this spring training because it refuses to not use weaker pitchers I designate as long relievers in only long relief situations, instead using them in close games & throwing away games that way. Stuff I would never allow if I had control of the bullpen in-game.

@Rich Please don't think I expect you to respond. You're doing the best you can in the circumstance. I'm complaining in general about the game & about how I would run a league. I don't expect anything to change. I'm only expressing my opinion. Apparently I'm not alone as I've spoken to another GM here (name withheld) who agrees that there needs to be more quality pitchers available in the pool. 

The point I'm trying to make is that limited talent/funds freezes up opportunities to move around & trade. GM's therefore play the game less. This coincides with one of the original intents of OOTP developers who created the game for players to be able to run entire seasons quickly and see results. My problem with that is how those algorithms conflict with game by game managing, limiting results for specific managing styles.
avatar
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-10-13
Location : Ewing, NJ

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by WhoDat on February 25th 2016, 2:24 am

"IMO you shouldn't have to deal with that challenge. It limits your opportunities to make trades. Keeping all five of those players would not necessarily "lock them down" into your roster. You would realize that you have a surplus & this would open up your thinking about trading for specific players to fill specific managing ideas."


But I like the challenge of making those tough decisions.  I like trading but I like the other options too.  The game isn't all about trading, it is about building a consistent, successful franchise.  And you do that with a combination of the draft, trades and free agency.


A leagues shouldn't have "a surplus of good players to go around". That wouldn't make things fun or realistic.  If there were "a surplus of good players to go around" teams wouldn't have needs to fill.  Some teams would still make trades but not out of need but because they like making trades.

you seem to really like to make trades but to me that is only one part of the game.  You mention that you "I make about a half dozen trades including good players", while that may be fun for you it isn't realistic nor the only way to have fun and enjoy the league.

You keep throwing out there that this and that isn't realistic.  It isn't so much that it isn't realistic it just isn't how you like to play.  Your way is fine, it is a fine way to play, but it isn't necessarily realistic or anymore realistic than how the NABL works.


You keep referring to the salary cap as low but over half the league has $10 mil + room under the cap with no older players in the FA pool that that they want to sign.  The cap is fine unless you don't like managing your roster to play within the cap.  If your goal is to sign a bunch of guys and then make a bunch of trades and not worry about a cap then, yes, the cap is too low.


So it just comes down to how you like to play, what type of league you want.  There is nothing wrong with the way the NABL is set up or with the cap, it just isn't how you want to play.  Again, your way is fine where you want to make a ton of trades but that is no better than having to manage the cap along with making some trades.  To each their own.


You talk about pitcher usage in ST, not using lesser players in long relief situations and using them in key situations and throwing away games.  Well the game manages the rosters differently for ST.  Starters go 4 innings and it uses you full bullpen to get players work.  ST isn't about winning games, it is about evaluating players and knocking off the rust.  I can see how it would drive you nuts if you want to manage ST games to win.


I agree that the game has issues with managing defensive substitutions and such but that doesn't stop you from building a team based on defense and pitching.  That is in fact how I usually do it, it can be done.  I don't like to build 'slugging teams' and I generally don't and I have plenty of success.


Again, to each their own.
avatar
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 518
Join date : 2012-10-12
Age : 49
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Bumstead on February 25th 2016, 8:56 am

WhoDat wrote:"IMO you shouldn't have to deal with that challenge. It limits your opportunities to make trades. Keeping all five of those players would not necessarily "lock them down" into your roster. You would realize that you have a surplus & this would open up your thinking about trading for specific players to fill specific managing ideas."


But I like the challenge of making those tough decisions.  I like trading but I like the other options too.  The game isn't all about trading, it is about building a consistent, successful franchise.  And you do that with a combination of the draft, trades and free agency.


A leagues shouldn't have "a surplus of good players to go around". That wouldn't make things fun or realistic.  If there were "a surplus of good players to go around" teams wouldn't have needs to fill.  Some teams would still make trades but not out of need but because they like making trades.

you seem to really like to make trades but to me that is only one part of the game.  You mention that you "I make about a half dozen trades including good players", while that may be fun for you it isn't realistic nor the only way to have fun and enjoy the league.

You keep throwing out there that this and that isn't realistic.  It isn't so much that it isn't realistic it just isn't how you like to play.  Your way is fine, it is a fine way to play, but it isn't necessarily realistic or anymore realistic than how the NABL works.


You keep referring to the salary cap as low but over half the league has $10 mil + room under the cap with no older players in the FA pool that that they want to sign.  The cap is fine unless you don't like managing your roster to play within the cap.  If your goal is to sign a bunch of guys and then make a bunch of trades and not worry about a cap then, yes, the cap is too low.


So it just comes down to how you like to play, what type of league you want.  There is nothing wrong with the way the NABL is set up or with the cap, it just isn't how you want to play.  Again, your way is fine where you want to make a ton of trades but that is no better than having to manage the cap along with making some trades.  To each their own.


You talk about pitcher usage in ST, not using lesser players in long relief situations and using them in key situations and throwing away games.  Well the game manages the rosters differently for ST.  Starters go 4 innings and it uses you full bullpen to get players work.  ST isn't about winning games, it is about evaluating players and knocking off the rust.  I can see how it would drive you nuts if you want to manage ST games to win.


I agree that the game has issues with managing defensive substitutions and such but that doesn't stop you from building a team based on defense and pitching.  That is in fact how I usually do it, it can be done.  I don't like to build 'slugging teams' and I generally don't and I have plenty of success.


Again, to each their own.

That's an ugly avatar... affraid cheers

Maybe we should make the league completely without challenge. Let's just wipe out salaries altogether and you can just keep whoever you want for as long as you want...wouldn't that be fun...hey, let's also give all players the same ratings and fine any teams that don't finish 81-81...

Oh, sorry, just dreaming again.  Carry on.  I would have Stanley Miller available except my owner wants a hometown player, so now he has one.  That's the only reason I signed him.  Plus, somehow I managed to put together a solid team that had cap room that wasn't otherwise going to be used; and my 1B/Dh that used to challenge for the batting title and had a  .900 OPS got hurt again and is probably now just an injury waiting to happen...Sorry, I won't start complaining about real OOTP issues, like where a guy gets a torn fingernail and is then he naturally becomes an injury waiting to happen...

That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum
avatar
Rich
Commish

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2012-10-12
Location : Long Island NY

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Rich on February 25th 2016, 9:18 am

Bumstead wrote:
WhoDat wrote:"IMO you shouldn't have to deal with that challenge. It limits your opportunities to make trades. Keeping all five of those players would not necessarily "lock them down" into your roster. You would realize that you have a surplus & this would open up your thinking about trading for specific players to fill specific managing ideas."


But I like the challenge of making those tough decisions.  I like trading but I like the other options too.  The game isn't all about trading, it is about building a consistent, successful franchise.  And you do that with a combination of the draft, trades and free agency.


A leagues shouldn't have "a surplus of good players to go around". That wouldn't make things fun or realistic.  If there were "a surplus of good players to go around" teams wouldn't have needs to fill.  Some teams would still make trades but not out of need but because they like making trades.

you seem to really like to make trades but to me that is only one part of the game.  You mention that you "I make about a half dozen trades including good players", while that may be fun for you it isn't realistic nor the only way to have fun and enjoy the league.

You keep throwing out there that this and that isn't realistic.  It isn't so much that it isn't realistic it just isn't how you like to play.  Your way is fine, it is a fine way to play, but it isn't necessarily realistic or anymore realistic than how the NABL works.


You keep referring to the salary cap as low but over half the league has $10 mil + room under the cap with no older players in the FA pool that that they want to sign.  The cap is fine unless you don't like managing your roster to play within the cap.  If your goal is to sign a bunch of guys and then make a bunch of trades and not worry about a cap then, yes, the cap is too low.


So it just comes down to how you like to play, what type of league you want.  There is nothing wrong with the way the NABL is set up or with the cap, it just isn't how you want to play.  Again, your way is fine where you want to make a ton of trades but that is no better than having to manage the cap along with making some trades.  To each their own.


You talk about pitcher usage in ST, not using lesser players in long relief situations and using them in key situations and throwing away games.  Well the game manages the rosters differently for ST.  Starters go 4 innings and it uses you full bullpen to get players work.  ST isn't about winning games, it is about evaluating players and knocking off the rust.  I can see how it would drive you nuts if you want to manage ST games to win.


I agree that the game has issues with managing defensive substitutions and such but that doesn't stop you from building a team based on defense and pitching.  That is in fact how I usually do it, it can be done.  I don't like to build 'slugging teams' and I generally don't and I have plenty of success.


Again, to each their own.

That's an ugly avatar... affraid cheers

Maybe we should make the league completely without challenge. Let's just wipe out salaries altogether and you can just keep whoever you want for as long as you want...wouldn't that be fun...hey, let's also give all players the same ratings and fine any teams that don't finish 81-81...

Oh, sorry, just dreaming again.  Carry on.  I would have Stanley Miller available except my owner wants a hometown player, so now he has one.  That's the only reason I signed him.  Plus, somehow I managed to put together a solid team that had cap room that wasn't otherwise going to be used; and my 1B/Dh that used to challenge for the batting title and had a  .900 OPS got hurt again and is probably now just an injury waiting to happen...Sorry, I won't start complaining about real OOTP issues, like where a guy gets a torn fingernail and is then he naturally becomes an injury waiting to happen...

That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum
hey you sound like Bernie Sanders - sorry didn't want to bring up politics.  LOL.  Enough of that crap on facebook.


_________________
Richard J. Rutkowski
North Shore Honu
2020-Present
.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 518
Join date : 2012-10-12
Age : 49
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Bumstead on February 25th 2016, 10:08 am

Rich wrote:
Bumstead wrote:
WhoDat wrote:"IMO you shouldn't have to deal with that challenge. It limits your opportunities to make trades. Keeping all five of those players would not necessarily "lock them down" into your roster. You would realize that you have a surplus & this would open up your thinking about trading for specific players to fill specific managing ideas."


But I like the challenge of making those tough decisions.  I like trading but I like the other options too.  The game isn't all about trading, it is about building a consistent, successful franchise.  And you do that with a combination of the draft, trades and free agency.


A leagues shouldn't have "a surplus of good players to go around". That wouldn't make things fun or realistic.  If there were "a surplus of good players to go around" teams wouldn't have needs to fill.  Some teams would still make trades but not out of need but because they like making trades.

you seem to really like to make trades but to me that is only one part of the game.  You mention that you "I make about a half dozen trades including good players", while that may be fun for you it isn't realistic nor the only way to have fun and enjoy the league.

You keep throwing out there that this and that isn't realistic.  It isn't so much that it isn't realistic it just isn't how you like to play.  Your way is fine, it is a fine way to play, but it isn't necessarily realistic or anymore realistic than how the NABL works.


You keep referring to the salary cap as low but over half the league has $10 mil + room under the cap with no older players in the FA pool that that they want to sign.  The cap is fine unless you don't like managing your roster to play within the cap.  If your goal is to sign a bunch of guys and then make a bunch of trades and not worry about a cap then, yes, the cap is too low.


So it just comes down to how you like to play, what type of league you want.  There is nothing wrong with the way the NABL is set up or with the cap, it just isn't how you want to play.  Again, your way is fine where you want to make a ton of trades but that is no better than having to manage the cap along with making some trades.  To each their own.


You talk about pitcher usage in ST, not using lesser players in long relief situations and using them in key situations and throwing away games.  Well the game manages the rosters differently for ST.  Starters go 4 innings and it uses you full bullpen to get players work.  ST isn't about winning games, it is about evaluating players and knocking off the rust.  I can see how it would drive you nuts if you want to manage ST games to win.


I agree that the game has issues with managing defensive substitutions and such but that doesn't stop you from building a team based on defense and pitching.  That is in fact how I usually do it, it can be done.  I don't like to build 'slugging teams' and I generally don't and I have plenty of success.


Again, to each their own.

That's an ugly avatar... affraid cheers

Maybe we should make the league completely without challenge. Let's just wipe out salaries altogether and you can just keep whoever you want for as long as you want...wouldn't that be fun...hey, let's also give all players the same ratings and fine any teams that don't finish 81-81...

Oh, sorry, just dreaming again.  Carry on.  I would have Stanley Miller available except my owner wants a hometown player, so now he has one.  That's the only reason I signed him.  Plus, somehow I managed to put together a solid team that had cap room that wasn't otherwise going to be used; and my 1B/Dh that used to challenge for the batting title and had a  .900 OPS got hurt again and is probably now just an injury waiting to happen...Sorry, I won't start complaining about real OOTP issues, like where a guy gets a torn fingernail and is then he naturally becomes an injury waiting to happen...

That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum
hey you sound like Bernie Sanders - sorry didn't want to bring up politics.  LOL.  Enough of that crap on facebook.
cheers Shocked affraid   Oh, I'm sure you know how big a supporter I am of Bernie.... jocolor geek Star Wars1 wolv beerbeer LMAO yay
avatar
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-10-13
Location : Ewing, NJ

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by WhoDat on February 25th 2016, 1:17 pm

Bumstead wrote:


That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum

I agree.  I have to stop drinking.
avatar
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 518
Join date : 2012-10-12
Age : 49
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Bumstead on February 25th 2016, 1:54 pm

WhoDat wrote:
Bumstead wrote:


That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum

I agree.  I have to stop drinking.
LMAO
avatar
Rich
Commish

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2012-10-12
Location : Long Island NY

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Rich on February 25th 2016, 2:01 pm

WhoDat wrote:
Bumstead wrote:


That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum

I agree.  I have to stop drinking.
Keep working on it til you get one you like.   A+ for effort.


_________________
Richard J. Rutkowski
North Shore Honu
2020-Present
.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 518
Join date : 2012-10-12
Age : 49
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Bumstead on February 25th 2016, 2:24 pm

Rich wrote:
WhoDat wrote:
Bumstead wrote:


That is still an ugly ass avatar though.

Bum

I agree.  I have to stop drinking.
Keep working on it til you get one you like.   A+ for effort.

I think the A stands for Ass as in Ass-Ass-ins... moon mutt yay tongue2
avatar
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-10-13
Location : Ewing, NJ

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by WhoDat on February 25th 2016, 5:32 pm

lol!


I think the uniform is coming along a bit better.
avatar
KMcBride
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 324
Join date : 2012-10-12
Age : 39
Location : Maine, USA

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by KMcBride on February 26th 2016, 6:54 pm

WhoDat wrote:lol!


I think the uniform is coming along a bit better.
Love it.  Looks great.  More trim on the lettering, though, to make them pop.  Black?
avatar
WhoDat
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Posts : 283
Join date : 2012-10-13
Location : Ewing, NJ

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by WhoDat on February 27th 2016, 9:58 am

KMcBride wrote:Love it.  Looks great.  More trim on the lettering, though, to make them pop.  Black?

Sponsored content

Re: Where is the sim?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is December 18th 2017, 3:54 am