Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
June 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
May 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
May 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
April 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
March 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
March 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
March 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
March 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
March 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 53 on October 7th 2015, 4:46 pm

significantly reduced potential upon arrival of drafted players

ronmers
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

significantly reduced potential upon arrival of drafted players

Post by ronmers on December 4th 2015, 11:09 pm

Regarding the players already drafted.  Do/are the numbers for potential and pitch type potential change from the time you draft a player to when He shows up on R roster.  For example: I drafted Richard Sanchez with following numbers: FB-15/SL-15/CU-13 and Stuff-16/MOV-16/CON-14 yet he shows in my Rookie league as FB-10/SL-6/CU-2 and Stuff-9/MOV-13/CON-10 potential.  Is this a function of the scout and is this normal?  The other two pitchers have similar reduced potential.  Does anyone know what causes this... or what game factor determines the difference between what is shown prior to draft and when they arrive in rookie league?

Ron
msambor
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Re: significantly reduced potential upon arrival of drafted players

Post by msambor on December 5th 2015, 2:23 pm

I've seen this before but don't know why
bigrevkev55
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by bigrevkev55 on December 6th 2015, 10:39 am

I had this happen before too.  However, I think I was looking at the ratings in the statslab (OSA Scouting) initially and then in game I was looking at the ratings through my scout. There was a big difference.  Is that your issue?  Just a thought
ronmers
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Reduced draft pick numbers

Post by ronmers on December 6th 2015, 10:52 am

That must be it... I guess I didn't see the scouts numbers as option when drafting.  Lesson learned.  I guess I need to pay attention to the scout numbers since that is what I end up with after he is drafted.  seems odd... that a players actually ability would be reduced because you have a crapy scout.  I guess it's all just a wag anyway and there is a certain amount of luck involved in getting good young players... except all 3 of my draft picks ended up being significantly lower than what it showed in draft board.
ronmers
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

You are correct... thanks

Post by ronmers on December 6th 2015, 10:59 am

You are right!... in game, I changed the scouting to OSA and the numbers I saw on draft board popped up.  This brings up a follow on question... which numbers should I trust, the OSA or the scout?  In theory, if I had, or hired a super scout with high numbers... would he more accurately predict than OSA.  What numbers do you use OSA or scout?
ronmers
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

More on scouts... via google

Post by ronmers on December 6th 2015, 11:04 am

I just did some quick googling on OSA vs. game hired scouts.  Apparently, OSA is not as accurate especially with younger players.  Additionally, OSA does not update near as often as hired team scouts.  Thanks for getting my head in the right place to figure this puzzle out.  Knowing this will be a big help in the future.
bigrevkev55
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by bigrevkev55 on December 6th 2015, 2:15 pm

Your welcome, I learned that lesson the hard way too!  The scouts are supposed to be more accurate but be aware - some scouts are better than others.  Also, some scouts scout minor league players or major league players better than amateur players.  ALso, how much you spend on scouting affects accuracy as well.  Also, you can adjust your scouting budget as well between scouting amatuers, pros, minors, and international players.  This is wy I like OOTP - It seems more realistic. 

My scout did not like any players in this draft...So even my first round picks were terrible.

Post by Guest on December 6th 2015, 7:49 pm

Sorry but I don't find it realistic at all. There shouldn't be that much discrepancy. IMO this has been the main problem with OOTP from the early versions, basically a flaw in the entire game structure/development. This is especially true with regard to fielding interpretation which basically sucks. Stuff most 10 year olds would be able to recognize are a big mystery to the pro scouts in OOTP. Player development is one thing, but it's not that drastic. Most players IRL are recognizably good or weak & improvement is minimal, not a big gamble. OOTP developers were/are clearly influenced by fantasy baseball statistics heads & gambling interests in attempting to make the game more dynamic on a chance/gambling level. Not realistic. What would be more realistic is people knowing the quality of players & then allowing the true ratings of players to hash it out in more specifically intricate games where interesting fielding things happen because it's a small ball & a big field and that's where the true dynamics & chance takes place in the game of baseball, not in wagering on one player's supposedly mysterious ability compared to another. But OOTP is, and always has been about not diversifying the real-time fielding game but instead the Vegas gamble of players "talent" and developing, usually blindly, of that talent because supposedly scouts are blind and their opinions supposedly vary greatly.

When I play against AI I always take scouting off, Yet even that doesn't make it realistic. But at least you know you're looking at what the AI says is the straight story on talent.

The game does, however have a random factor/algorithm built into it which reduces the gamer's ability to completely read into the game via player ratings, scouting or not. Random is not what really happens on the field but at least it makes it impossible to dictate the outcome of games based solely on ratings. AI then vacillates between allowing random things to happen during games & herding it all in by the end of the season according to a statistical synthesizer.

In the end, the name Out of the Park tells us what is happening. That this isn't a baseball simulation where the games matter so much as a business simulation where buying & selling talent & the development of that talent over time is where most of the chance, and therefore the playing of the game takes place.

Personally I don't like any of it. I've always been more interested in watching baseball games than understanding the dynamics between franchise managers & owners ability to create a lucrative business in the pro sport. I almost never read news about deals, only focus on the games played & the players' performances. But I play OOTP because it's more realistic of a simulation than any of the other cpu baseball games out there which are all overly simplistic fantasy gambling games, many of which don't even simulate games at all.
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on December 6th 2015, 9:56 pm

yes the ratings in statslab are osa.  There no way for it to show your scouts ratings.  IFf ratings where on then we would see the real ratings - which defeats the purpose of playing with scouts.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ronmers
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Baseball games... going out of thread?

Post by ronmers on December 7th 2015, 1:37 am

You brought up the topic of baseball games and had some great comments regarding baseball sims and OOTP... which made me reminisce.  By far the best baseball game I have ever played is a game that used to be named "Pursue The Pennant"... it was an awesome board game with some real strategy and the ability to factor many elements into a smooth fast paced game format.  In the computer age they changed their name to "Dynasty League"... and the CPU version was great but there was no way to simulate a season, no minors, no management of the team... just season replay with existing players.  Now, I don't think they even make the CPU based game but they have it as an online game now.  I have not played the online game because the cost is just silly.  Anyway, I miss sitting at my table playing hours of PTP with its 3D (sort of... 1980's 3D anyway) outfield fences that fit into the box top... the suspense of the die roll.  The early PTP board version sold these cool vinyl holders that would hold the player game card and his actual baseball card ... now that was awesome!  God I miss that game!

Ron
Key West Pelicans

my off topic

Post by Guest on December 10th 2015, 2:41 am

Ron, are you talking to me? I couldn't tell, but if you are then I hear ya. It's probly off topic but what the hell, nobody probly minds anyhow. Anyway part of the reason I posted that stuff was coz I had a feeling if I did somebody might mention another game just like you did. I will be sure now to lookup Dynasty League & try to play it.cheers -pete
ronmers
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by ronmers on December 13th 2015, 11:50 am

Dynasty League Baseball/(aka Persue the Pennant) Nothing beat the board game version, rolling dice and accompanying Topps baseball cards.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 18th 2017, 6:13 pm