Please login. You must be logged in for full member access.

An OOTP17 Baseball Sim League

The next sim is: TBD upgrading to ootp17
The current game date is: 10/25/2031...
Congrats to the Las Vegas Blackjacks on winning the 2031 World Series!
The NABL league is currently full
We are starting the 2031-2032 off season....

Latest topics

» NABL OOTP16 Rules (2015 - 2017)
June 21st 2017, 10:43 pm by Rich

» 2031 Regular season Schedule
May 25th 2016, 11:41 am by Rich

» 2030-2031 Off Season Schedule
May 23rd 2016, 10:11 am by Rich

» 2030 Regular Season Sims
April 26th 2016, 9:04 am by Rich

» Form to Join League: Please fill out
March 24th 2016, 3:33 pm by Guest

» Draft update
March 18th 2016, 9:11 am by Rich

» League Website
March 13th 2016, 11:59 pm by WhoDat

» Draft Pool
March 12th 2016, 1:04 am by Rich

» Charming seeks SP
March 10th 2016, 10:02 am by bigrevkev55

Twitter

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 53 on October 7th 2015, 4:46 pm

Free Agents - still some good ones out there

Rich
Commish

Re: Free Agents - still some good ones out there

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 3:50 pm

Bumstead wrote:
Rich wrote:
Bumstead wrote:The real problem comes when the person that signs Upton for 20 years at $26M per year drops the team because Upton wasn't worth a contract that long and now the owner's hands are tied.  I dropped out on Jean Jean, very original name from his Mommy, at $15M (but I was only willing, reluctantly, to offer 4 years).  He goes for $22M per season for however many years...How likely are either of those guys to even be effective in the latter years of their contracts.  Sometimes I think we as owners think of OOTP as fantasy baseball.  As in, only next year matters; we, at times, are guilty of not realizing we are trying to run an organization that is supposed to exist well beyond the lifetime of these players...Makes it rough when the guy drops out and then somebody has to come in and suck for 3 years trying to clean up the mess.  Having no salary cap might make the situation even worse, I'm not sure.  I'm for no salary cap, as I think that is the only way the game works as it has been programmed, but at some point there are owners that need to be saved from themselves.

As to all the good free agents remaining, many of the OF free agents are very good.  Unfortunately every organization is flooded with decent OF prospects, so why pay for an OF?  OOTP over-generates OF prospects and to a point doesn't generate enough SP prospects.  But, it's still the best baseball sim out there by far.  I just don't get this rationale.  I would love to have Todd Knox on my team, but it makes no sense to pay him $10M+ per season when I can run a guy out there at the minimum who will produce almost as well.

Bum
I'm not sure the abundance of outfielders over other positions is unrealistic.  Certain positions in MLB are weaker.  It's easier to get a corner outfielder over a catcher (I'm talking star players).  Starting pitchers/closers are harder than relievers.

Actually, it is unrealistic.  The Reds have been looking for a LF for 5 years and there is nothing much of any count available.  I agree that there are more decent Corner OF's available in MLB than there are SS's.  Maybe catchers.  But in OOTP, there are a 100 4-5 star corner OF's out there (available or in the minors waiting to play) and 3 starting pitchers...It shouldn't be that big of a difference.  Another thing that I am noticing now is that SS's are now losing their ability to stay at SS very early in their careers.  There are virtually no SS's now in OOTP that can stay at or near gold glove level for more than 5 years, let alone even stay at the position.  At least not one's that are usable...of course, that is if you can find a SS to begin with...I think OOTP exaggerates tendencies in their efforts to make things realistic.  It's kinda annoying, but I still love the game.
saw this from Marcus.  Not about player positions created but about an ootp14 change from past versions-amount of star quality players.

Regarding the player quality in the draft, this has been indeed changed in
OOTP 14. In prior versions, the quality on average was higher, but the
player development code decreased the talent of most of them eventually. Now
we take a different approach, with less high-quality talent, but their
chance of retaining that talent is higher than in the past. We feel this is
more realistic.

Cheers,
Markus

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 3:00 pm

I will keep track of the top 10 high salaries each season.  I believe we have had contracts in the 20mil range per season before.  One or two are fine and not an issue.  Some players are greedy and some teams are desperate for a certain player.  I think the issue we need to look out for is if the top 10 or top 20 increases throughout the list while the top salary keeps getting larger.  That will be the inflation issue that we may need to adjust for.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 2:46 pm

Bumstead wrote:
Rich wrote:
PelicansGM wrote:
Rich wrote:
Bumstead wrote:The real problem comes when the person that signs Upton for 20 years at $26M per year drops the team because Upton wasn't worth a contract that long and now the owner's hands are tied.  I dropped out on Jean Jean, very original name from his Mommy, at $15M (but I was only willing, reluctantly, to offer 4 years).  He goes for $22M per season for however many years...How likely are either of those guys to even be effective in the latter years of their contracts.  Sometimes I think we as owners think of OOTP as fantasy baseball.  As in, only next year matters; we, at times, are guilty of not realizing we are trying to run an organization that is supposed to exist well beyond the lifetime of these players...Makes it rough when the guy drops out and then somebody has to come in and suck for 3 years trying to clean up the mess.  Having no salary cap might make the situation even worse, I'm not sure.  I'm for no salary cap, as I think that is the only way the game works as it has been programmed, but at some point there are owners that need to be saved from themselves.

As to all the good free agents remaining, many of the OF free agents are very good.  Unfortunately every organization is flooded with decent OF prospects, so why pay for an OF?  OOTP over-generates OF prospects and to a point doesn't generate enough SP prospects.  But, it's still the best baseball sim out there by far.  I just don't get this rationale.  I would love to have Todd Knox on my team, but it makes no sense to pay him $10M+ per season when I can run a guy out there at the minimum who will produce almost as well.

Bum
I was thinking of maybe some type of max contract amount.  Something we can discuss.  The problem is it would need to be manually enforced.  And if someone offers someone 30 mil a season and Key West is correct and the rest of the contracts adjust to that range- it's not really doing anything.  If there is no correction we could not allow yearly amounts over X dollars.  The contracts would be void.

For the new guys- we have some rules for contracts.  Make sure you look the rules over-  The contract rules are as follows-

Contracts
Any contract amount of length can be offered to a player, but no incentives. Incentives are not allowed. Player options are allowed. No team options. If a player is signed with incentives in the contract, the contract will be corrected by the commish. You can sign an uneven or backloaded contract, but the highest year cannot be any more or less than 2X the previous year. We will play with arbitration and this will be handled in game (after a player hits 3 service years). You can avoid arbitration by signing the player to a long term contract. If a player retires, the contract is wiped and teams no longer are required to pay the player. There are also super 2 players that may get arbitration in their 2nd service year. This is the top 17% of players with the most service time. So keep this in mind.
Well there's always the argument that stupid GM's make stupid moves and sign stupid contracts, but it's not like we can shield ourselves as a league from that. I'm a Braves fan IRL, so I get the joy of watching BJ Upton blow and Uggla not even play anymore. Shit happens. Last off season, I spent $19mil / year on Almestica, which is high, but it was exactly what I wanted - a true #1 in the prime of his career. What were the ramifications? I couldn't resign 3 of my starting pitchers. What else happened? The residual SP studs want more money now, and that will NEVER go down and there is NO way to circumvent that. But he only asked for that much because there was already a $19mil/yr contract out there for SP Brett in Boston. The financial model mimics real life really well - once Pujols got his money, Cano and Cabrera wouldn't have accepted less (for example). The only way to let that play out the right way is to wipe the cap, enforce cash max, and include revenue sharing, so if your team sucks and your budget went down, you'll make up the difference in revenue sharing.

Bumstead wrote:
Rich wrote:also when they turn 20 they need to go to rookie league.  Do we have to move them manually or does the game do this?  What happens if we don't move them out of the Intl complex when they hit 20?  Anyone know?

I believe they move automatically if we do not move them.

Correct - and there's no reason to move them earlier than that bc they're essentially a free player in your complex, most importantly not racking up any service time in your low level minors.
I'm with you but Bumstead is correct too.  There are guys that jump around leagues and stay short term if things don't turn around fast or easy.  But that's something we can't control.  I sucks when someone sign a few big contracts or trades away the minors and leaves the mess for someone else.  It happens.  We need to balance things so its fun and the league is protected too.

Yes.  Thank you.  One of these days I am going to hear something like that from my wife....something like: "Yes, you are correct, this is a pillow and you are so weak you will not be able to push it off your face..."

Bum
hey- I signed some big contracts myself over the years.  Some helped me win titles and some where mistakes.  Some helped my win titles and then caused some financial issues.  

If the top budgets keep growing- we may need to increase ticket prices league wide and seating to keep up with inflation.  We should be fine is we keep out revenues and cap up with the increasing salary requests.  If the top budgets stay at 140mil and below- just bumping bottom budgets should be fine.  If the player salaries get out of hand we should be able to charge higher prices and have more seating to cover the difference.  Also raise the cap too.  I think its the only way long term with a cap.

Right now seating is capped at 60K.  I don't think anyone has that many seats.  So everyone can increase revenue by getting more seats (this is done by me each off season if your selling out).  We could bump it to 70K if we need more revenue.  Also ticket prices must be between 10-20.  So this can be adjusted as well to keep up with inflation.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on June 20th 2014, 2:32 pm

Rich wrote:
PelicansGM wrote:
Rich wrote:

Bum
I was thinking of maybe some type of max contract amount.  Something we can discuss.  The problem is it would need to be manually enforced.  And if someone offers someone 30 mil a season and Key West is correct and the rest of the contracts adjust to that range- it's not really doing anything.  If there is no correction we could not allow yearly amounts over X dollars.  The contracts would be void.

For the new guys- we have some rules for contracts.  Make sure you look the rules over-  The contract rules are as follows-

Contracts
Any contract amount of length can be offered to a player, but no incentives. Incentives are not allowed. Player options are allowed. No team options. If a player is signed with incentives in the contract, the contract will be corrected by the commish. You can sign an uneven or backloaded contract, but the highest year cannot be any more or less than 2X the previous year. We will play with arbitration and this will be handled in game (after a player hits 3 service years). You can avoid arbitration by signing the player to a long term contract. If a player retires, the contract is wiped and teams no longer are required to pay the player. There are also super 2 players that may get arbitration in their 2nd service year. This is the top 17% of players with the most service time. So keep this in mind.
Well there's always the argument that stupid GM's make stupid moves and sign stupid contracts, but it's not like we can shield ourselves as a league from that. I'm a Braves fan IRL, so I get the joy of watching BJ Upton blow and Uggla not even play anymore. Shit happens. Last off season, I spent $19mil / year on Almestica, which is high, but it was exactly what I wanted - a true #1 in the prime of his career. What were the ramifications? I couldn't resign 3 of my starting pitchers. What else happened? The residual SP studs want more money now, and that will NEVER go down and there is NO way to circumvent that. But he only asked for that much because there was already a $19mil/yr contract out there for SP Brett in Boston. The financial model mimics real life really well - once Pujols got his money, Cano and Cabrera wouldn't have accepted less (for example). The only way to let that play out the right way is to wipe the cap, enforce cash max, and include revenue sharing, so if your team sucks and your budget went down, you'll make up the difference in revenue sharing.

Bumstead wrote:
Rich wrote:also when they turn 20 they need to go to rookie league.  Do we have to move them manually or does the game do this?  What happens if we don't move them out of the Intl complex when they hit 20?  Anyone know?

Correct - and there's no reason to move them earlier than that bc they're essentially a free player in your complex, most importantly not racking up any service time in your low level minors.
I'm with you but Bumstead is correct too.  There are guys that jump around leagues and stay short term if things don't turn around fast or easy.  But that's something we can't control.  I sucks when someone sign a few big contracts or trades away the minors and leaves the mess for someone else.  It happens.  We need to balance things so its fun and the league is protected too.

Yes.  Thank you.  One of these days I am going to hear something like that from my wife....something like: "Yes, you are correct, this is a pillow and you are so weak you will not be able to push it off your face..."

Bum
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 2:27 pm

PelicansGM wrote:
Rich wrote:

Bum

Contracts

Bumstead wrote:

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Post by Guest on June 20th 2014, 1:31 pm

Rich wrote:

Bum

Contracts

Bumstead wrote:

Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on June 20th 2014, 10:50 am

Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on June 20th 2014, 10:46 am

Every team uses 5 SP's in their rotation.  Very few MLB teams run guys out there that end up with an ERA north of 6 for a full season.  Last year 2 of my starters were that bad and I had no other options and I have nothing coming through my system after picking in the top half of the draft for years (there's nothing to draft after the top 2 picks as far as pitchers go).  There just aren't enough Starting Pitchers in the league and there aren't many SP prospects that are going to change that.

Using the Reds again as an example: they currently have 6 Starting Pitchers that would be 3 star or better at least as far as this season's production goes.  Simon is an anomaly at this point.  Or even if we say the Reds have 4 current starters like that; Cincrani has 3-4* potential.  They also have 4-6 SP's in their system with 3-5 star potential.  Find 2 teams with that type of pitching in our league.  The Reds are not alone in MLB in this area.  They have really good pitching but they aren't alone.
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on June 20th 2014, 10:39 am

Rich wrote:

Bum
I'm not sure the abundance of outfielders over other positions is unrealistic.  Certain positions in MLB are weaker.  It's easier to get a corner outfielder over a catcher (I'm talking star players).  Starting pitchers/closers are harder than relievers.

Actually, it is unrealistic.  The Reds have been looking for a LF for 5 years and there is nothing much of any count available.  I agree that there are more decent Corner OF's available in MLB than there are SS's.  Maybe catchers.  But in OOTP, there are a 100 4-5 star corner OF's out there (available or in the minors waiting to play) and 3 starting pitchers...It shouldn't be that big of a difference.  Another thing that I am noticing now is that SS's are now losing their ability to stay at SS very early in their careers.  There are virtually no SS's now in OOTP that can stay at or near gold glove level for more than 5 years, let alone even stay at the position.  At least not one's that are usable...of course, that is if you can find a SS to begin with...I think OOTP exaggerates tendencies in their efforts to make things realistic.  It's kinda annoying, but I still love the game.
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 10:24 am

also when they turn 20 they need to go to rookie league.  Do we have to move them manually or does the game do this?  What happens if we don't move them out of the Intl complex when they hit 20?  Anyone know?

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 10:22 am

not sure where the original post is but at some point we where discussing the intl players.  I finally signed a guy that my scout thinks is a 2.5 star.  He is saying he is a bench player - so he's nothing special but better than the bunch of 1/2 star guys I got Smile.  

This is how is how ootp14 works.  Most of these guys are worthless- the better guys will be in the int free agent pool.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 10:16 am

Bum

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 10:10 am

Bum

Contracts

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on June 20th 2014, 10:00 am

The real problem comes when the person that signs Upton for 20 years at $26M per year drops the team because Upton wasn't worth a contract that long and now the owner's hands are tied.  I dropped out on Jean Jean, very original name from his Mommy, at $15M (but I was only willing, reluctantly, to offer 4 years).  He goes for $22M per season for however many years...How likely are either of those guys to even be effective in the latter years of their contracts.  Sometimes I think we as owners think of OOTP as fantasy baseball.  As in, only next year matters; we, at times, are guilty of not realizing we are trying to run an organization that is supposed to exist well beyond the lifetime of these players...Makes it rough when the guy drops out and then somebody has to come in and suck for 3 years trying to clean up the mess.  Having no salary cap might make the situation even worse, I'm not sure.  I'm for no salary cap, as I think that is the only way the game works as it has been programmed, but at some point there are owners that need to be saved from themselves.

Bum
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 9:47 am

PelicansGM wrote:
MikeM731 wrote:some of the contract demands are outrageous !!!!

It's the inflation that is built into the ootp financial model whether we want it there or not. And once a couple guys get signed for more $$, the demands will never go down again. It's a result of a recycled issue on having a hard cap, IMO.
I agree- I think sometime in the future we may need to remove the salary cap or raise it.  For now I'm going to monitor and the finances the best I can and keep the teams close (budgets).  Some may disagree with me but if all the teams budgets are close and a team doesn't drop to far down.  Raising the cap will not give others an advantage.  For the immediate future we are good right now.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Post by Guest on June 20th 2014, 8:47 am

It's the inflation that is built into the ootp financial model whether we want it there or not. And once a couple guys get signed for more $$, the demands will never go down again. It's a result of a recycled issue on having a hard cap, IMO.
Rich
Commish

Post by Rich on June 20th 2014, 7:05 am

its tough but it better to let the guy go when it gets too high.

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Post by Guest on June 19th 2014, 9:34 pm

some of the contract demands are outrageous !!!!
Rosco70
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Rosco70 on June 19th 2014, 3:48 pm

Yeh tried to sign a few SP but price was getting too high for me, wasn't wanting to spend 1/4 of my budget on 1 player, will just have to hope my draftees develop well. Tom Nolan still refuses to speak to me, it's been over 18 months, I'm not sure what the previous GM offered him for an extension but he must have been highly insulted Smile
Bumstead
T Ball'er
T Ball'er

Post by Bumstead on June 19th 2014, 1:38 pm

The pitchers are getting paid ridiculous amounts.  I hope these owners plan to stick around through their contracts...
Rich
Commish

Free Agents - still some good ones out there

Post by Rich on June 19th 2014, 1:04 pm

They might be greedy but there are still some good ones out there that could help-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Todd Knox - RF
.296 24 homers 85 RBIs for Missoula in 2024

P Vic Dooks
7-5 2.09 2 Saves in 83 Games

Christian Mathieu
2-3 1.70 34 Saves in 67 Games

.556(900-720)
2027 NABL Champs!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 22nd 2018, 2:17 am